How To Move Rats Temporarily?

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
jurassicprince

How To Move Rats Temporarily?

Post by jurassicprince » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:50 pm

This might seem stupid but it's something that's really stressing me out and needs to be solved ASAP.

So I recently got two new male rats less than five days ago and still haven't really gotten anywhere with handling. I need to clean out their cage but don't want to pick them up because they're still pretty skittish, so I was wondering how I'm supposed to get them from their home cage to the other cage we have for when they're being cleaned?

Sorry if this is silly, I just don't want to set myself back when it comes to taming them when we already haven't done much.

[cub]

Re: How To Move Rats Temporarily?

Post by [cub] » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:25 pm

If you really don't want to pick them up then you can tempt them into a large tube or box and then move them in that. But you may as well just pick them up; you and they will need to get used to it eventually. The more hesitant you are the more stressful it'll be for all concerned; just go in and grab them.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

CorbinDallasMyMan

Post by CorbinDallasMyMan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:07 am

Scoop them up quickly and confidently. You're going to need to learn how to best handle them and they need to learn that being handled isn't a scary experience!

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 am

CorbinDallasMyMan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:07 am
Scoop them up quickly and confidently. You're going to need to learn how to best handle them and they need to learn that being handled isn't a scary experience!
Yes, this! It helps a lot if your cage is set up so that you have good access to all areas, so they can't easily hide away such that you end up having to chase them around, which leads to them getting more stressed (and you getting more frustrated).
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Return to “Behaviour”