Help.....poorly rat

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Natasha1

Help.....poorly rat

Post by Natasha1 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:55 pm

Recently got 2 baby rats,there both girls and around 5 months old now. Got from a breeder,well looked after and super friendly. Last week noticed daisy turnin her head to one side and odd time loosing her balance when climbing then on sunday night she was really un steady and throwing her head back n forth and falling over,got her into a emergency vets that said he thought she had had a stroke,gave her a steroid injection and then steroids (predisolone) to take home. By tues was no better so rung a diffrent vets and got her in there for a second opinion. She said either a ear infection (no discharge from ears etc) stroke or a brain tumour. Now on saturday.....shes got better at climbing her cage but still throwing her head back and forth,eating as normal and drinking. Seems confused and over giddy. I dont know what else to do. Someone said put her to sleep and others saying while shes eating and drinking leave her. First time ever owned rats and its upset me so bad. Other rat is 100% fine. Any advice?

[cub]

Re: Help.....poorly rat

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:37 am

Has she been prescribed any antibiotics? Most ear infections in rats are bacterial, and while steroids can also be helpful to control symptoms, they're not going to do anything directly about the infection itself while a correctly-chosen antibiotic will.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Natasha1

Post by Natasha1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:40 am

Yes sorry shes been prescribed sulfatrim as well by the second vet we went to see

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Ear infections can take weeks to clear. Sometimes the rat will be left with a permanent head tilt afterwards, so don't necessarily expect that to improve, but correct treatment should improve symptoms like head shaking, excessive head/ear scratching, and balance problems. Antibiotics can take a good few days to start to have an effect though. If she has improved somewhat on her current meds then I would stick with them, but if improvement doesn't continue then I would go back and ask to switch antibiotics. Enrofloxacin (Baytril) is the usual one for ear infections in rats since it's often due to Mycoplasma pulmonis.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Natasha1

Post by Natasha1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:19 pm

She is eating n drinking as normal but her head is constantly been thrown up and down. Its so sad to watch. Her balance seems to be a bit better as she was falling from top of cage and can now climb down but id say the head shaking as got worse. Im praying its a ear infection and not a stroke or brain tumour.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:36 pm

Sounds more like an ear infection to me. I'd take her back next week to switch antibiotics, probably to enrofloxacin, if the head shaking has gotten worse even on her current regimen.

Natasha1

Post by Natasha1 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:56 pm

Ok i will do. First vet i went to was no help to be honest and told me to put her to sleep 😢 no way was i gonna do that,he didnt even check her ears. I will ask for that medicine when i go. I hope it is a ear infection and not tumour or stroke. Thank you for your advice

frodo quin

Post by frodo quin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:50 pm

I hope she makes it and feels better soon. Ear infections can be horrible.

Natasha1

Post by Natasha1 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:53 pm

Shes nearly finished antibiotics,not as bad as she was but still acting a bit odd,can climb better now but defo not back to how she was. Shes eating,drinkin and always the first up at door to come out so i take it shes happy enough for now.

mothernaturesson

Post by mothernaturesson » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:19 pm

sorry to hear your rat is so poorly
definitely if theyre eating and drinking theyre usually good
let me know how they are getting on!

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:56 am

If she's better but still not quite back to normal, that suggests that the infection may not have fully cleared yet and she may need a longer course of antibiotics, so I'd take her back to the vet.

Return to “Behaviour”