Intro - time frame and quarantine?

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Feolthanos

Intro - time frame and quarantine?

Post by Feolthanos » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:03 pm

In two weeks I'll be adding two 7 week old rats to my 4 month old boys.

I've read a whole load on intro'ing and feel pretty confident on carrier method of carrier, small cage, step up to half my big cage and then full cage with limited free range space then fully bonded.

What is less clear however is time scales.

From getting the new rats how long should I leave it before I start introducing? I know they should be at least 200g, but is there a minimum age?
If I bring them home and they're 200g can I start introductions right away or would the new rats benefit from some bonding with me first?
Do I need to worry about quarantine for a couple weeks considering these will be breeder rats?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Intro - time frame and quarantine?

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:36 am

The best window for introducing kittens is between 9 and 12 weeks, and I would expect them to be over 200g by then. I generally introduce at 9 - 10 weeks and mine will be over 250g.

No, if they are from a responsible breeder then there shouldn't be any quarantine worries, but you can ask them if they'll have had any potential exposure in the next fortnight if you want to.

Feolthanos

Re: Intro - time frame and quarantine?

Post by Feolthanos » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:33 pm

cyber ratty wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:36 am
The best window for introducing kittens is between 9 and 12 weeks, and I would expect them to be over 200g by then. I generally introduce at 9 - 10 weeks and mine will be over 250g.

No, if they are from a responsible breeder then there shouldn't be any quarantine worries, but you can ask them if they'll have had any potential exposure in the next fortnight if you want to.
Thank you.

Both excited and nervous!

Return to “Behaviour”