Puberty problems

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
oowie

Re: Puberty problems

Post by oowie » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:47 pm

yesterday i added a flat hammock and everything seems fine. they are sleeping in mixed groups, but not often all together.
nu bullying, no chasing around, they are all ok with eachother.
i just added a second flat hammock, still in 1/4th of the little zoo venturer cage. they are fine with it and they stay relaxed.
when everything stays calm, do you think i can give them 1/2 of the little zoo venturer cage instead of 1/4?
from there on i want to start adding more flat hammocks, a wheel, some toys.... all one by one and only if they are ok and relaxed with it for at least 24 hours, until moving on to the next step.
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:04 pm

Yes that's a good plan :luck:

oowie

Post by oowie » Thu May 21, 2020 9:22 am

update:

everything was going ok, step by step i added some more flat hammocks and open houses.
once i added a closed house with only one opening, the chasing started again. so i do not use this anymore.
until then they lived in the upper part of the little zoo venturer cage.

because everything went well, i decided to open the cage up and give them the lower part too.
i put the pan with open corner in the middle, so they could climb down. After about an hour, things went wrong.
Karel was sitting in the lower part of the cage, entirely stressed! i couldn't touch him or pick him up. whenever one of the other boys wanted to go down, he went made and chased them trhough the whole cage.

i decided to go back to only the upper part of the cage, and things settled down again.
i bought this cage so they have lots of space, but now they can not use it......but at least they were al calm and happy.

this morning i tried something new. so they can have the whole cage, but so it would'nt feel like two seperate teritories for Karel, i think that was the problem the last time withe the bottom tray in the middle.
i took the middle part out, and that way they have one big space to climb. will see how this goes.

Karel is also on bach rescue remedy for pets, since a couple weeks, he takes it from the pipette and loves it. i thinks this works well to take the sharp edges of and keep him more relaxed. hope i can get him through pubert this way without neutering

this is Karel:

cage picture:

formerly izi

oowie

Post by oowie » Tue May 26, 2020 8:51 pm

update:
Karel sometimes sleeps with (one of) the 2 younger boys in a hammock, but most of the time he sleeps with his brother, or alone. to us he is a very affective rat and very calm.

I don't like neutering, simply because i do not like to operate a healthy animal. can i let this go on like this? he hasn't hurt anyone yet and as long as it stays that way....can i let them go trough puberty together?

i also have been thinking about seperating them. I have a large double cage, now used as one cage without the middle tray in it (Little zoo venturer cage).
I have been thinking about putting the 2 young boys in one part, and Karel and his brother in the other part, and seperate them during puberty to not let it escelate and give them peace.

Do you think this would be a good idea? and do you think i can introduce them again later on?
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed May 27, 2020 7:41 am

If they have achieved a peaceful group, then don't worry about an individual rat choosing to sleep alone sometimes. So long as he is happy, and is not being ostracised, then that's fine.

I agree that having the cage fully open is going to be better for them than two linked sections.

I wouldn't split them into two groups - firstly because rats do best in groups of 3 or more, so a pair wouldn't be great, and you may not succeed in introducing them later, no, adult intros between intact bucks is often the hardest (two alphas plus two betas = lots to sort out!).

Incidentally, you seem to be treating a hormonal issue as though it is going to be temporary, only during puberty, whereas what happens is that hormones appear in puberty and then remain with them for most of their life. Consequently, any rat who displays problems once their hormones surface, will continue having those problems for life. This is why neutering is recommended as soon as the hormones are seen to cause problems. If a slow intro does not solve the problems then time will not, only a neuter will.

Return to “Behaviour”