How to help my rats are the death of one of the pack

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Bubbs_1987

How to help my rats are the death of one of the pack

Post by Bubbs_1987 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:27 pm

Hi all,

I sadly had to have one of my boys laid to rest on Friday. I have three boys remaining. I've noticed that since losing Pixi the others have been very flat and not very interested in playing, coming out of their cage or interacting with me. Usually every evening (like clockwork) they would come out of their cage & it was as if they had an in built timer because as soon as I'd finished my dinner they'd be at the cage door waiting for me. Now there's no interest and when I do take them out they very soon take themselves back in. I've also noticed that they aren't eating as much. Prince in particular seems to be struggling and has lost a little weight.

I'm not in a position to buy more rats, so I was wondering whether anyone has experienced this before and if so what you did to help those left move forward?

[cub]

Re: How to help my rats are the death of one of the pack

Post by [cub] » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:26 pm

It's fairly common for rats' behaviour to change after the death of a cagemate. Usually they return to normal within a few days to a week. However, if the behaviour change is prolonged, or if it's accompanied by other signs of ill health, a vet trip can be a good idea as there may actually be an underlying medical condition, especially if the deceased rat died of something infectious. Weight loss is one symptom to keep a particularly close eye on.

If you're not planning on getting any more rats, it's also worth thinking about what you'll do when you're down to your last rat as it's generally not recommended for a rat to be kept on its own. Usually people rehome their last rat, or their last pair, to be integrated into someone else's colony.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Return to “Behaviour”