Is nipping a problem or just play?

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Mrs_C

Is nipping a problem or just play?

Post by Mrs_C » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:32 am

Hi everyone,

First time poster as I got my first baby rats a fortnight ago. Looking for some advice on the behaviour of one of them.

Tilk & Sketch are 10 week old boys and get along great. Of course there is always the odd scuffle between them but what I've started to notice is that Tilk constantly nips at sketch when they are interacting with me. Tilk is smaller and more nervous than Sketch who is a bit of a brute. As soon as I come to see them or get them out for free range time Tilk will constantly nip at sketches hind legs. It's almost as if he is telling him to get away from me.

Is this normal? I'm worried as they get older this might become more serious.

Thanks 😊

Mrs_C

Re: Is nipping a problem or just play?

Post by Mrs_C » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:34 am

Should also say it really gets on Sketches nerves and can lead to pretty aggressive play. Yesterday they had a full blown punch up on my neck 🙄

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Is nipping a problem or just play?

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:27 am

It doesn't sound like they will be happy as a pair if they both want to do different things at the same time and can't deal with that peacefully - rats do best in groups of 3 or more anyway, so I would advise adding one or two more kittens, and then when you are having 1-1 time with Sketch, Tilk will have other playmates and won't get on Sketch's nerves. :luck:

Return to “Behaviour”