Question intro/cages

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
oowie

Question intro/cages

Post by oowie » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:11 pm

hi,

my 3 boys (1 12 month old, 2 5 month old) are living in a double CN in the living room.
next weekend i can get 2 new 6 week old boys from a breeder, they are now 5 weeks and weigh about 130gr.

i think it is best to start intro's with a minimum 200gr weight?
if so, i do have to keep them seperated until then. would it be enough to split the CN in 2, or would this stress the boys because they can hear and smell eachtother?

if needed i can buy a seperate cage for the babies, and keep them in a seperate bedroom untill they are old enough to start te intro.
(i use the carrier method)

also: the babies will need more protein, how do you do this during intro's?
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Question intro/cages

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:24 am

You'll need to wait until the babies are 9 - 10 weeks, I prefer them to be > 250g. This will give you plenty of time to feed them through their growth spurt.

130g is pretty small for 5 weeks if they are going to be homed at 6 weeks. My 5 week olds are around that weight but I don't home them until they are 8 weeks old.

For the carrier method you must presumably have a spare cage anyway? It would be best to keep the babies in this in a separate room.

oowie

Post by oowie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:25 pm

Thanks. I have ordered a extra seperate cage for the babies to live in while they grow to be big enough for introduction.
It is a savic zeno 2 cage.
I will wait with the intro till they weigh at least 200gr.
formerly izi

oowie

Post by oowie » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:21 am

Yesterday morning i started the intro in the ferplast mini duna cage. The kittens weigh around 230-240gr. Everything is going well. They are all very easy going and just get around the cage, sniff eachother and go back to their own sleeping corner. (Kittens apart from the others in their corner)
The kittens are not scared at all. They are eating,playing and drinking, and this moring they all had some egg from the same bowl without any problems.
I think now i have to wait until they go from tolerating eachother, to like eachother and sleep together?

Because there have not been any problems (the older boys did not even lay the kittens on their back) could i try to introduce a hammock? Maybe this can bring them closer sooner?
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:43 pm

Did you start in a small carrier so they couldn't keep their distance?

You should wait until they are voluntarily sleeping in one group or at least in mixed groups before adding the hammock.

oowie

Post by oowie » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:53 pm

I have started the intro in the mini duna.
They have been in the small carrier for about 4-5 hours this morning, and i just put them back in the miniduna cage.
I see them sleeping in mixed groups now. In the carrier everything was ok too.
Will see how it goes from here.
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:07 pm

That's better - the carrier stage is an important one. :luck:

oowie

Post by oowie » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:44 pm

Yeah i know, but i didn't want to start in the carrier because lack of view and acces to the rats, incase something went wrong....

This morning kittens in one corner, others in the other. Still all just relaxed around achother. Did another fewe hours in the carrier, and after that i see more mixed sleeping today.
They are alle very relaxed, but the kittens are going crazy and try to escape and climb from the miniduna. Lots of energy and jumping around together, so i hope i can give them a bigger cage soon.

What do you think? First try the hammock tomorrowmorning in the mini duna, and when that goes well, move them to a empty bigger cage?
Or first moving and ad ld the hammock in the bigger cage?
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:39 am

First add a flat hammock to the duna.

Return to “Behaviour”