Question intro/cages

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
oowie

Question intro/cages

Post by oowie » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:11 pm

hi,

my 3 boys (1 12 month old, 2 5 month old) are living in a double CN in the living room.
next weekend i can get 2 new 6 week old boys from a breeder, they are now 5 weeks and weigh about 130gr.

i think it is best to start intro's with a minimum 200gr weight?
if so, i do have to keep them seperated until then. would it be enough to split the CN in 2, or would this stress the boys because they can hear and smell eachtother?

if needed i can buy a seperate cage for the babies, and keep them in a seperate bedroom untill they are old enough to start te intro.
(i use the carrier method)

also: the babies will need more protein, how do you do this during intro's?
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Question intro/cages

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:24 am

You'll need to wait until the babies are 9 - 10 weeks, I prefer them to be > 250g. This will give you plenty of time to feed them through their growth spurt.

130g is pretty small for 5 weeks if they are going to be homed at 6 weeks. My 5 week olds are around that weight but I don't home them until they are 8 weeks old.

For the carrier method you must presumably have a spare cage anyway? It would be best to keep the babies in this in a separate room.

oowie

Re: Question intro/cages

Post by oowie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:25 pm

Thanks. I have ordered a extra seperate cage for the babies to live in while they grow to be big enough for introduction.
It is a savic zeno 2 cage.
I will wait with the intro till they weigh at least 200gr.
formerly izi

Return to “Behaviour”