need advice on helping a young buck

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
itsBreeze

need advice on helping a young buck

Post by itsBreeze » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:45 am

Always kept does before and finally got some bucks. Anyway they are about 4 months old now and while both are very high energy one of them is an absolute terror. Not my first time dealing with one like him.. no sense of danger, high energy and constantly going where I don't want him to. It's a problem as he isn't bonding with me so I can't trust him out like my other rat, he is quite skittish and freaks out at loud noises slowly trying to work with him but when he goes off, trying to go on the floor, climbing up the top of the cage, running around on my sofa, I'm worried any loud noise he will panic and run away. Any advice? Does anybody have any advice and URL links for a good rat proof fencing I can buy for him?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: need advice on helping a young buck

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:59 am

Have you spent 1-1 time bonding with him? Sit or stand with him and your hand inside a loose outer garment (e.g. hoody or dressing gown) for at least 20 minutes, and talk/sing gently.

People use these panels to build a playpen, but they will need to be quite tall to prevent a determined rat getting over them.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SONGMICS-Inter ... ref=sr_1_5

Your boy sounds like he's behaving more like a girl - are you sure he's a male? With him having very different motivation from the other rat, you may find the group works better with another couple of boys added fairly soon.

itsBreeze

Post by itsBreeze » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:58 am

Thanks for the response and apologies for delay. Definitely a boy, the testicles are hard to miss. I've been working with him as much as possible and he's just hyperactive. Reminds me of my old girls for sure even they didn't use me as a jumping object. I have an exclusive hoodie I use my rats, he loves going inside the hood. I'm ashamed to admit but I had to grab him very firmly when he used to jump off me on the floor and even got angry at him before (but never shouted) Things have improved anyway, supervised time on my sofa plus giving him the opportunity to roam on my floor freely and he's come a long way and trusts me a lot more but as I said, he's just a hyperactive ratty. In comparison, his brother is very relaxed and only gets excited when out.

I have three rats currently, is this enough or would you recommend getting a few more? I plan on upgrading their cage anyway as it's a little small for three (freddy 2) and was going to spoil them with a bird cage one. Do you have any recommendations for rat orientated websites to use? I checked Amazon and a lot of the "small animal friendly" cages have bars that are too big for smaller rats.

Also I hope you don't mind me asking in this thread but my hyperactive rat in question is starting to sound a little like a pigeon, am I right in assuming that's a respiratory infection and needs to go vets for some Baytril?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:53 pm

A group of three is fine, but I would plan to add a couple of kittens when the first three are 12 - 15 months to give you a mixed age group.

There are lots of good cages - a coco 100 is nice for a small group of up to 5 or 6.
https://www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/pr ... x54cm.html it's going up in price, but currently 67.50 using the discount code FANCYRATS

If you want to go bigger, the cheapest of the fully opening styles is the pet planet, but you'd need to add a deep tray for substrate, and perspex is pretty expensive atm
https://www.petplanet.co.uk/p28577/rat_ ... lanet.aspx

Always worth keeping an eye out for a second hand bargain though too :luck:

Any respiratory noises need to have an eye kept on them, but if the rat is definitely well in themselves (and bear in mind they are good at hiding illness), then give them a few days to allow their own immune system to tackle it, so you don't overuse antibiotics.

Return to “Behaviour”