Tips for super active destructive rat

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Nell-c

Tips for super active destructive rat

Post by Nell-c » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:25 am

First time rat owner. I got my 2 gorgeous girls a few weeks ago after waiting 6 months for them :) we made our spare room rat safe for them to roam while free playing while they got used to us with dig box, peas in water and hidden treats, lots to play on and in with the cage there to retreat to if needed and while Rosie who is sometimes playful, sometimes shy, always affectionate enjoyed it, her sister gunther is like the working cocker spaniel of rats on speed. Shes super friendly and adorable always running onto shoulders but her mission is to always get beyond wherever she is at all costs. The grass is always greener and life for her is about the journey not the destination ha. While endearing, it's not practical and I feel I'm not stimulating her enough ...even with a whole room to play in full of stuff and me there too she would tear up the corner of the carpet, start chewing furniture and try to dig under the door. Weve moved house and there isnt currently a whole room to roam in so I made a cardboard pen (as gunther jumped out of the one I bought on amazon in 5 seconds) and while her sis just ran around enjoying it Gunther spent the whole time leaping at the cardboard trying to jump out then scratching at the carpet trying to dig out! I feel terrible like I cant manage to give her what she needs but if I let her loose in the house I have no doubt she'll destroy things or hurt herself. Is there a manual for hyper intelligent Olympian rats!? Worried I'm not cut out to own rats after all :( it's making handling them a challenge in the new house as Gunther is such a liability. YouTube says pop them on the bed. Gunther would be off it like a shot! Tips appreciated thanks

Feolthanos

Re: Tips for super active destructive rat

Post by Feolthanos » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:44 pm

I always laugh at the idea of keeping a rat on a bed. Even my most stereotypical lazy buck would get down off it and I'd have zero chance with my latest crazy boys.

I do feel your pain. My latest trio just get everywhere and have even climbed up the curtains. They are now 4 months and have calmed down a little, but are still pretty nuts :lol:

I've been training them some tricks, got a dog treat toy and generally have cardboarded the hell out of my room to stop them getting up table legs onto places my previous other rats never even tried. I also put things absolutely everywhere in the room, tubes, hides, cardboard boxes and change where I put them and they'll generally then at least explore those first. It took a couple weeks, but eventually they realised they couldn't get up to where they were before. They can be pretty persistent about climbing up me in an attempt to get elsewhere though :roll: I love them, but they definitely have an energy I'm not used to!

I would try hiding treats around the room too, some just laying around, others in boxes or toilet roll tubes. They'll soon pick up on it being better to explore where they are rather then getting elsewhere fingers crossed.

Nell-c

Post by Nell-c » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:59 pm

Thanks! I'll keep trying ha. Yes gunther will head over and shimmy right up my leggings without a second thought to get as high up as possible. Shes certainly a climber!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:00 am

I agree - this is just rats being rats, but training may be a good way to focus Gunther's interest.

I would also suggest that adding a couple more rats fairly soon would be good for the balance of the group (one more if you can still get a sibling). Rats do best in a group of 3 or more anyway, but given that your two seem fairly different in their nature, Gunther may enjoy having another friend who has as much drive as she does.

Return to “Behaviour”