Bullying Bucks

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
BeeGees

Bullying Bucks

Post by BeeGees » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:54 pm

Hello all, I am new to the forum, and in need of advice please.

I got my first rats last September. 3 bucks, Maurice, Robin and Barry. They were all pups. 2 agoutis Robin and Barry were I think from the same litter, Maurice was a tiny bit bigger and he's buff/cream colour.

They live in a Furet xl enclosure with a tictac wheel.

Maurice is a really sweet chill boy who will let me pick him up etc.

Robin is shy but curious and will barely tolerate attempts at handling but I can to a point.

Barry is a big boy who will take chunks out of me at every opportunity, including cage cleaning when I'm ignoring him. He has hurt me several times.

I was fine with it being a long game of gaining their trust, if ever but one or both injure Maurice. He required medical treatment for a severe cut to his head bless him. I got a Furat cage as there was no way to give him his medication without separation. Picky wasn't in it!

Later I moved Barry to the Furat and Maurice to the big cage in the hope of calming the fighting and trying to bond. He's now booked in for a neuter. But now Robin has severely bitten Maurice again and I'm hoping to get him neutered at the same time.

My need for help is, what do I do if the aggression towards Maurice continues? I'll get him neutered too most likely.

If more rats are a solution, do I run the risk of bothersome males with him again when they mature or is a mixed sex mischief a better idea? Surely if there are neutered males all would have to be?

My worry is that the agoutis may always spoil any potential harmony but I do have separate room for them should that be the last resort. Maurice needs to not get tormented though.

Apologies for the lengthy post but I thought context would help with ideas.
Thank you.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Bullying Bucks

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:15 am

Poor Maurice (although maybe he winds the others up somehow?). :(
If you do get them all neutered then adding a couple of adult rescue girls would probably work out best.

BeeGees

Post by BeeGees » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:48 am

Thank you so much for your reply and advice.
Yes that's an excellent point. I have wondered if he's the aggressor or teases them but I've only ever witnessed them taking food from him etc. Once in the middle of the night there was mayhem and when I went in, Maurice was chasing Robin but I don't know who'd been naughty first if you see what I mean.
They never have injuries though and Barry is a big boy who's not shy with his teeth, if it's me that is!
Barry and Robin are getting snipped on Friday of this week then I'll book Maurice in as his head injury and bald spot is filling in nicely now. Hopefully the spats will stop. If not at least I can try more rats and I have the capacity to split a group with 2 cages.
Do you definitely think older rather than pups?
I'd have to wait for hormones to level off anyway so it's a couple of months away.
Thank you again, take care.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:44 am

I think putting 2 or 3 young girls (intros would normally be at about 8 weeks) in with 3 large adult bucks could be a bit much for them, that's why I think adult girls might be better. See how the boys are about 6 weeks or more after the neuters, if they are very chilled then good sized doe kittens could be okay.

BeeGees

Post by BeeGees » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:06 am

Thank you again, you are very kind.
Hopefully they'll stop scrapping when hormones have died down.
I really hope Maurice isn't the aggressor, it would be so weird because he's the least skittish and most friendly towards me.
The other 2 never really fed off that with me. They'll take food off me through the bars but when I try handling they're so nippy. He's never led with his teeth.
Take care.

Return to “Behaviour”