Switching Cages: Did I Make The Right Choice (Help?)

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
NubsNLubs

Switching Cages: Did I Make The Right Choice (Help?)

Post by NubsNLubs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Hello, I am both a new member of this site and a new rat owner! Five days ago I got my precious boys Lubs (slang for 'loves') and Nubs (his tail was unfortunately surgically removed due to an accident and is now just a nub). For twenty dollars their previous owner gave me them, their old cage, food, and aspen shavings. However, once I got them I realized the cage seemed a bit too short for the rats to truly climb and stretch. I got a new cage after tons of convincing my parents that they needed it, but after doing some measurements I'm not sure if it's really all that better

Old Cage: http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore ... rabbit-kit
(I know it says rabbit and not rat, but the old cage has a Kaytee sticker and looks the same so I'm guessing this is it)

New cage: https://www.amazon.com/Levels-Ferret-Ch ... erret+cage

The new cage sacrifices some floor space for height, which I know rats like. Do you think I would've been better sticking to the old one? Is there a way to connect the two, if not?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Switching Cages: Did I Make The Right Choice (Help?)

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:01 am

Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

Both those cages are quite small, so joining them together would be a good idea. I think you'd cut a hole in the roof of the original cage, and sit the second one on top without its base, using cable ties to fix it in place.

There are a number of examples of cages being joined like that in this thread, and lots more in this one.

:luck:

NubsNLubs

Re: Switching Cages: Did I Make The Right Choice (Help?)

Post by NubsNLubs » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks cyber rat!

Return to “Habitat”