Substrate recommendations - finacard and green mile comparison

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Satana

Substrate recommendations - finacard and green mile comparison

Post by Satana » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi there,

I'd like to get people's opinions on the 'dustiness' of finacard and green mile. I purchased finacard a number of years ago and despite it being 'dust extracted' I found it to be fairly dusty. For this reason I moved onto green mile and was always happy with it.

It's been nearly year since our last ratty passed on, but today we rescued some elderly chaps from a rescue centre. They have had chest infections in the past and I want to keep things as dust free as possible for them. I may end up using material, but should I try out a substrate again I just wanted to get opinions on how 'dust free' everyone feels these products are, especially since the description for green mile on ratrations.com says "virtually dust free" rather than dust extracted.

Cheers.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Substrate recommendations - finacard and green mile comparison

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:20 pm

I've never had any problems with finacard being dusty, but I know they changed the manufacturing process a while back to address some of the issues people had reported about dust, so it's worth trying a new bale to see what you think.

Definitely use some sort of substrate though, rather than a layer of material - rats need to be able to dig and forage and nest with a loose substrate. If you want to try an alternative to cardboard, I can recommend pureflake extra or megaspread shavings - they are both kiln dried and dust extracted so are suitable for rats, and barely smell of wood at all.

Return to “Habitat”