Thinking about downsizing cage

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
oowie

Thinking about downsizing cage

Post by oowie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:46 pm

Ok...i have 3 rats, soon i have 2 more.
I have a CN double for them, but because of a painfull shoulder problem,cleaning the CN is way too much for me...
After cage cleaning i have very much pain and have to go to bed. Even painkillers do not help.
Doctor tells me this condition can last a while and maybe never goes away completely.

For the upcoming kittens i have ordered a savic zeno 2.
How easy it is to clean and decorate.... lot less work then the CN double!

I am thinking about selling my CN, and buy a savic zeno 3. It is 100x50x70cm. About the same size of a half CN.

Do you think this is big enough for 5 boys?
I realy have to think this trough, but it will make my live so much easier.
Just empty the bin, wash the bin in the shower.
Lay the cagetop on its side, whipe it down and thats it, instead of having to take the CN plates, perspex guards, scrub the bars and reach inside the cage...

Is a downsize to a savic zeno 3 ok? I would feel a bit quilty for the boys.
Have been looking at the savic zeno 3 empire too.... but that is not managable for me.

5 rats is my maximum!
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Thinking about downsizing cage

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Yes a zeno 3 should be fine for up to 5 rats, but it's not going to be as easy to furnish because of the small door compared to the fully opening doors of a CN.

It sounds to me like you are cleaning more thoroughly than is needed if you do all that every time. I just use a dustpan and brush (actually it's the top half of an igloo and a plastic spade head, lol) to scoop up all the substrate from within the perspex tray (I'll very occasionally wash it in situ). I don't clean the bars more than a couple of times a year and never remove the plastic tray - admittedly mine are in a rat room so I can allow more background smell than you might want in a living room, but a 'deep clean' shouldn't be necessary more than every couple of months.

oowie

Post by oowie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:05 pm

I clean the CN like this every 2 weeks. I have to change the bedding every 2 weeks because of the smell, and i also take the trays and perspex out to clean.

The perspex looks a bit dirty after 2 weeks. But maybe i can try to just wipe out the trays and swipe the perspex clean and put clean bedding in. Maybe thay will work!

Will see how it goes with the smell thay way. And another idea : maybe i can clean the top and bortom part seperately.
So both once a month..... will see how thay works out.

Cage door from the savic is fine for me, but i would prefer to keep them in their CN double if possible.
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:22 pm

It sounds like you have the middle floor in - if you remove that, you'll have less floor to clean, and the rats will have a more active layout. ;)

oowie

Post by oowie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:44 pm

That is also worth a try!thank you! Will try that first.
formerly izi

oowie

Post by oowie » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:41 pm

Hmm not sure if it is doable to take the midpart oud. Have to take the whole cage apart to do so.
And it will cost them lot of floor space.... and the hight....they are always up there and only come down to drink and eat
If i make it an open space,what about falling? I don't want to use the platforms because they pee on it and i cannotput bedding on it.
Also don't know where to leave all the parts that i would take out.

Maybe i try to only use one cage part for a while and see how thay goes. If it works ok, i van always sell the upper part.
formerly izi

oowie

Post by oowie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:19 am

my husband says don't take the 2 kittens and keep the 3 you have, and house them in the savic zeno 2 (80x50x70) but i think it is wat too small for 3 and i want a nice group around 4-6 rats.

will see how it works out to clean the upper part one week and the lower part the next week, maybe that is a doable option.
i don't want to do them short on housing, they use te whole cage now with 3, and soon there will be 5 in there.

does anyone here keep 5 in a half size CN cage ? or maybe something like the savic zeno 3 (100x50x70)
can i see decoration pictures and are your rats happy with it? do they come out a lot for freerange?

here they aren't very crazy about freeranging so i just have them on my lap sitting by the cage and playing and cuddling with them. that is also why i gave them the double CN.
formerly izi

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:18 pm

oowie wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:41 pm
If i make it an open space,what about falling?
I have a little zoo venturer which is similar to the CN. I don't have the middle floor in, it's just too much to clean two lots of floor space and isn't as enriching. I have a lazy boy and he'd probably never come down to the bottom of the cage if I didn't 'make' him :lol:

I have cargo nets, rope bridges, a long parrot rope hoop thing, perches, and also 1 or 2 of the IKEA scarf holders that work as fall breakers.

I only do a substrate change every 2 weeks. I leave the tray in and just give it a quick spray and wipe. I do a quick wipe down of pee-trap areas of the bars but only do a full proper everything out and deep clean about every 3 months (with 4 boys).

Because I tend to change the layout around at the same time it takes me about 1 an half to 2 hours, however the actual cleaning is pretty quick. I suggest breaking up the jobs into smaller parts and doing them on different days so that your shoulder doesn't feel quite so overwhelmed. Also, get your husband to assist with those back of cage jobs. I do most of my cage on my own, and hence why it takes me so long, but it's super quick when my OH is able to help (I spare him most of the time as he's allergic).

oowie

Post by oowie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:35 am

aah thanks, do you have a picture of your cage layout?
do you use the shelves that come with the cage?

maybe a fully open cage can work, but they love the middle floor space and their house up there. they always build super nests around the house with the green mile carboard, they don't do this when i place the house in the lower part, so i think they wouldn't be happy without that option. :lol:
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:25 am

Here are some of my open SRS cages - top tip, you can use a large cat litter tray to add some extra surface with substrate in, but get two so you can hang up the bottom one and lift the top one out of it for cleaning.

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:18 pm

oowie wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:35 am
aah thanks, do you have a picture of your cage layout?
do you use the shelves that come with the cage?

maybe a fully open cage can work, but they love the middle floor space and their house up there. they always build super nests around the house with the green mile carboard, they don't do this when i place the house in the lower part, so i think they wouldn't be happy without that option. :lol:
I don't use the shelves no. I briefly used a couple as I got my first rats in Dec last year and I had some issues getting enough to fill the cage out right away so they were in for safety. They just became pee magnets though. I've kept hold of them for when they are older and mobility may become an issue, but otherwise I think it's good to keep rats as active as you can and also using their brain at navigating a new layout.

A smaller dig box such as a cat litter tray or peg basket hung up high may for fill their want to nest and interact with their environment.

Return to “Habitat”