Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 7 of 9 [ 123 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post subject: Re: Who has had explorer/SRS trays made?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:37 pm 
Admin Aide

Scarlett wrote:
Is it because the sides go inside the front and back?

Yep, the perspex we used is 4mm thick so 592+4+4=600mm so it would need adjusting accordingly if you go for a different thickness :)

Rigs, Fallow, Eldra, Basta!, Afterglow, Tinderbox, Dan, Nash, Lightfoot, Catalyst, Fog, Hannity, Terra, Allagash, Begasti, Freewild, Batman, Sunnymead, Coppermine, Silverthorne, Bazooka, Destri, LOX, Octaweb
Everyone else; sorely missed, forever loved.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:56 pm 

BatRats wrote:
Scarlett wrote:
Is it because the sides go inside the front and back?

Yep, the perspex we used is 4mm thick so 592+4+4=600mm so it would need adjusting accordingly if you go for a different thickness :)

Thank you :)

I was going to shave a fraction off for ease of getting it in and out the cage, as Nelly had suggested, and go for these measurements:

Base: 890mm x 595
Front and back: 890mm x 110mm
Sides: 587mm x 110mm

Thoughts? I'm rubbish at this kind of stuff!

I'm going for 110mm as I didn't want it too high

Oh! ETA: Did anyone get polished sides??

Missing all my fur babies waiting at the bridge.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:12 am 

Are the perspex trays quite heavy? I'm looking at getting them but I have an Explorer and an Aventura joined together so without the side panels the Explorer is a little less stable and I don't want to put a huge weight on it. It'll be a huge one-off cost (£150!! Could get a whole new Explorer for that!) but I think my hoover is on the brink of explosion with these messy girls!

ETA: What did you do about the corner cut-outs? Did you cut them yourself?

♥ Courtney and the ever-growing mischief ♥

Post Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:14 am 

I just took the middle out of my SRS :)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:57 pm 

Im planning to join the "Perspex explorer" brigade this week too :D The damn wildies have destroyed every side of the correx base that had lasted over 5 years, lol.
I assume there have been no updates or revisions to the dimensions or technique at this point ? Also, has anyone got a opinion on their resilience in the presence of chewers ... :roll:

:rattyrainbow: 30 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Holly :rattyrainbow:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:19 pm 

Hi everyone

I got my First SRS yesterday and the ratties arent even in it yet. I'd decided last night that I could jam a piece of black correx onto each base and then swap the trays that you get with it round cos im going to divide it into two.

BUUUT...I've just read this whole thread and I started thinking ok maybe not correx I'd better get metal trays fitted to be safe (don't want boys n girls mixing) NOW I'm thinking do I need a deep Perspex tray cos everyone is saying that substrate falls out everywhere?! :?

HELP PLEASE......correx , metal or perspex???! :? :?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:20 pm 

HereticPr1me wrote:
Im planning to join the "Perspex explorer" brigade this week too :D The damn wildies have destroyed every side of the correx base that had lasted over 5 years, lol.

Perspex will get eaten. Half-wild & wild rats rats have no mercy.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:29 pm 

Bah :(
I think I'll give it a go anyway...it should at least be more resistant that the correx was and I loath to get metal trays.

:idea: I may be able to stick an aluminium capping strip around the top edge of the tray to help protect it !
Thanks Laura.

:rattyrainbow: 30 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Holly :rattyrainbow:

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:02 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I love my metal trays from John Hopewell. I take them out every week for cleaning and they are not too heavy at all. Not had any problems with corrosion either and keeps substrate in so much better than the trays you get with the cages. I'd not trust the glue enough for perspex trays let alone half wildies chewing out.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:22 pm 

I need to reglue my tray but am not much convinced by gorilla glue, looking to buy a proper acrylic glue but they're all so expensive! Any suggestions?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:27 pm 

NellyNoodle wrote:
looking to buy a proper acrylic glue but they're all so expensive! Any suggestions?

They are, but a little bit should go a long way. Glues where you buy two tubes and mix them together before use are generally stronger than ones which come pre-mixed.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:51 pm 

Well, Ive steamed in and ordered the Perspex sections so hopefully will get it assembled whilst Im off over the next few days.
Given that the glue seems to be the weak point for people I think I'll try to reinforce the outside of the corners using right angled sections of plastic/aluminium - this worked well for the coroplast base. I might also do it along the base edges so that bumps and bangs getting it in and out don't crack the Perspex.
Fixing the corner armour into place will be either glue or tape, I'll decide that as I go.

Really strong 2-part glue would mean using something like Araldite, but Im hoping to just use my hot glue gun. Part of the problem of course is that the surface is very smooth, so I plan to roughen it with a little sandpaper first.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:50 pm 

HereticPr1me wrote:
I may be able to stick an aluminium capping strip around the top edge of the tray to help protect it !

We were looking at the strips that go around metal mesh like this but I assume that is what you were thinking of anyway, Doug. ;) We haven't got around to getting any yet because we found a load of those A4 binding strip jobbies at a boot fair for 50p which have, up to now, been doing a sterling job keeping the fuzzies away from chewing our home made base.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 pm 

Those look especially sturdy ! Funny you should mention A4 binder "spines" that's what I actually used for ages on the corroplast base, but I had the fantastic idea of firing the steam cleaner along them and they bent all out of shape - they worked a charm for years though but I never got to try them with the half-wilds. I always liked the rounded edges, I got the impression they couldn't get any purchase on it.
Since rearranging the rat room I think I might have a bunch spare now so I'll chance it with those first :luck: thanks.

EDT: I just had a look and theyre a bit knackered so I'll grab some new ones from ebay :)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:11 pm 

HereticPr1me wrote:
I always liked the rounded edges, I got the impression they couldn't get any purchase on it.

Don't bet on it. :lol: Evie has over the past few days found a weak spot in one and is slowly making her way through it! I must swap it over for a new one tomorrow and hope she forgets it was ever chewable!

Page 7 of 9 [ 123 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat