Wheel or no wheel?

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
JeanneNicole

Wheel or no wheel?

Post by JeanneNicole » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:57 pm

I got my daughter 2 boy rats a week and a half ago, who are now 11 weeks old. They are doing very well and are starting to come out of their shell and get more confident with being handled. One is quite laid back and one is quite loopy! I am now thinking it might be worth getting a wheel for them and have been searching the web and this forum for advice on the correct wheel etc. Due to reading on this forum that the superpet silent spinner wheel might not be the same quality as it was originally, I have been looking at the Tic Tac metal 12" wheel. The only problem is that it is quite expensive and I'm worried about spending that much money and the rats not using it.

Do you think they need a wheel and also being boys what are the chances that they would use it given their age and the fact they have never been exposed to one before?

They are in a Freddy Max 2 cage with lots of toys and levels, unfortunately I can't seem to post a photo of it.

Many thanks,

Jeanne

bazu

Re: Wheel or no wheel?

Post by bazu » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:25 pm

I've got a Silent Spinner and find it's absolutely fine, but then I've had mine a while so I can't vouch for any current quality issues...

As for getting a wheel; I've found every one of my rats will use it to some degree or another, whether it was Myst zooming like a mad thing or older boys/girls struggling with mobility but using it to just plod along for a bit. They can usually figure it out for themselves after a bit, so that shouldn't be a worry!

(I know that there are rats out there that don't like wheels, but I've never personally encountered it)
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:44 pm

Many thanks for the reply it's been really helpful and I will probably risk getting it, it's just £40 is a lot of money to spend if they don't use it.

bazu

Post by bazu » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:11 pm

Yeah, I know that feeling! It's one thing if you know they'll adore it, but when it's a bit of a leap of faith that suddenly looks like an enormous sum! (But we know we'll pay it, because they'll give us The Look and we'll crumble... :roll: :lol: )
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:37 am

I have two silent spinners. One is cracked, which is the one I got on Black Friday. But I would be reluctant to spend £40 on a wheel that you don't know if they will use. I would rather spend a smaller amount of money to see if they used it and then if the wheel didn't last at least I would know going forward if they used it or not and whether to get another wheel. Worth waiting until silent spinners are on offer?
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:18 am

Wodent wheels are half that price http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_grou ... pg_id=2767 - you will want the biggest one . Silent spinners aren't that much either http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_grou ... pg_id=3822 , again, you will need the biggest one.

My girls love their wheel and I always put 2 in their cage as they use them so much.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:51 am

Our two new rescues are around six months and one of them in particular adores his silent spinner (in fact, he's belting around on it as I'm typing :lol: ) One of our other rats in particular also loved his wheel.
We bought ours on Amazon's Black Friday the Christmas before last and even though it's had quite a bit of abuse it's still going strong.
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:45 am

Rhian33 wrote:Wodent wheels are half that price http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_grou ... pg_id=2767 - you will want the biggest one . Silent spinners aren't that much either http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_grou ... pg_id=3822 , again, you will need the biggest one.

My girls love their wheel and I always put 2 in their cage as they use them so much.
Many thanks and which would you recommend the wodent wheel or the silent spinner? It needs to be as quiet as possible as the cage is in my daughters bedroom.

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:48 am

Caza66 wrote:I have two silent spinners. One is cracked, which is the one I got on Black Friday. But I would be reluctant to spend £40 on a wheel that you don't know if they will use. I would rather spend a smaller amount of money to see if they used it and then if the wheel didn't last at least I would know going forward if they used it or not and whether to get another wheel. Worth waiting until silent spinners are on offer?
That's a really good idea and this is what I will probably now do, it's just I didn't originally want to spend twice by buying a cheap one and then having to upgrade it to a more expensive quieter, safer one.

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:34 am

JeanneNicole wrote:
Rhian33 wrote:Wodent wheels are half that price http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_grou ... pg_id=2767 - you will want the biggest one . Silent spinners aren't that much either http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_grou ... pg_id=3822 , again, you will need the biggest one.

Many thanks and which would you recommend the wodent wheel or the silent spinner? It needs to be as quiet as possible as the cage is in my daughters bedroom.
I like wodent wheels best. They haven't been available for ages so I've been mostly using Silent spinners.

Wheels aren't quiet though. I would recommend putting the cage somewhere else anyway if you can. Rats much prefer being in busy places anyway and your daughter is probably getting disturbed sleep. I'm a really heavy sleeper but when I have rats in the bedroom I find myself waking up when they're eating, drinking or falling off things :lol:
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:03 am

Rhian33 wrote:
JeanneNicole wrote:

I like wodent wheels best. They haven't been available for ages so I've been mostly using Silent spinners.

Wheels aren't quiet though. I would recommend putting the cage somewhere else anyway if you can. Rats much prefer being in busy places anyway and your daughter is probably getting disturbed sleep. I'm a really heavy sleeper but when I have rats in the bedroom I find myself waking up when they're eating, drinking or falling off things :lol:
Unfortunately the only room they can go in is my daughters room, but fortunately they don't disturb her at all at night and considering that is where she spends most of her time when not at school they get the most interaction being in there.

I am thinking of getting this one as a trial wheel as I know it will be too small when they get larger, but at under £10 it won't be too much of a loss if they end up not using it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Exercise ... ROKL5A1OLE

What do you think?

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:06 am

Those wheels aren't suitable for rats. They are perfect for Syrian hamsters but are far too small width wise. Diameter isn't great either which will cause back arching.

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:09 am

Rhian33 wrote:Those wheels aren't suitable for rats. They are perfect for Syrian hamsters but are far too small width wise. Diameter isn't great either which will cause back arching.
Okay so that's out then. Can the wodent by cage mounted?

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:31 am

JeanneNicole wrote:
Rhian33 wrote:Those wheels aren't suitable for rats. They are perfect for Syrian hamsters but are far too small width wise. Diameter isn't great either which will cause back arching.
Okay so that's out then. Can the wodent by cage mounted?
Sort of. It has to stay on the stand though but you can attach it to the bars.

Examples here http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... f=42&t=731

Philosophyfox

Post by Philosophyfox » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:40 am

I keep male rats and I use Silent Spinners. They aren't exactly silent...but that's mostly due to how energetic the rats are in them, and how much poo, food and other stuff is in there with them...

I have a 23 month old buck whose never been interested in wheels, but his 16 month old cage mate still uses it, not as wildly as in his younger days, but still has a good go!

I have a couple of babies in my bedroom at the moment. They are wilder on their wheel, but don't keep me awake. I initially wasn't a fan of the idea of wheels, but seeing how they appreciate access to them, I will always provide one.

I recommend the Silent Spinner. Mine have lasted well, both with Fab's crazy use as a youngster and the cleaning. You might be able to pick up a second hand one.
Bernard and Manny :hearts: Brian and Monty :hearts:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan Slug Moth Grub Bug Little Squirt Dill F.A.B Twerp
Rat ornaments, jewellery and other trinkets :smile: Blog, gallery, stuff

Return to “Habitat”