Wheel or no wheel?

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
JeanneNicole

Re: Wheel or no wheel?

Post by JeanneNicole » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:43 am

Rhian33 wrote:
JeanneNicole wrote:
Rhian33 wrote:Those wheels aren't suitable for rats. They are perfect for Syrian hamsters but are far too small width wise. Diameter isn't great either which will cause back arching.
Okay so that's out then. Can the wodent by cage mounted?
Sort of. It has to stay on the stand though but you can attach it to the bars.
In that case I think I will have to go for the silent spinner due to getting the wheel in the cage as the cage opening I have is only really big enough if I can take it off the stand (want my daughter to be able to take it in and out easily for cleaning without having to take the cage fully off from the base. She has the Freddy Max 2 cage which is great apart from the not so great door opening!

Fingers crossed it won't come apart like some of the recent reviews have mentioned. The only other one I have seen that might be suitable but again only while they are very young and not full size is this one which the company says is suitable for rats http://www.amazon.co.uk/Savic-27-Large- ... ROKL5A1OLE

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:48 am

JeanneNicole wrote:
Rhian33 wrote:
JeanneNicole wrote:Can the wodent by cage mounted?
Sort of. It has to stay on the stand though but you can attach it to the bars.
In that case I think I will have to go for the silent spinner due to getting the wheel in the cage as the cage opening I have is only really big enough if I can take it off the stand
You take the WW off the stand to take it out of the cage to clean. The most secure way to attach a WW to the bars is to attach the wheel to the cage on the outside, and then put the wheel on on the inside. (This means that more of the cage itself takes the weight, making it more stable/ secure.) The stand stays where it is in the longer term, and you just take the wheel on and off the stand to clean it. Even if for some reason you had the stand attached inside the cage then you could still remove the wheel from it inside the cage and only take the wheel out :)

eta - you can see it most clearly here that the stand is outside. To clean the wheel out of the cage I just take it off the stand, clean, put back on the stand.
Depending on wheel placement I actually find this easier than removing a silent spinner to clean because to remove those from the cage you have to have a hand on the outside to unscrew the back at the same time as supporting the wheel itself on the inside to keep things lined up. If it's on the side that's usually fine, but if you've got it on a back wall that can require contortions and/or be impossible without a 2nd person depending on cage dimensions and arm length/ dexterity.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:59 am

acapae_wolf wrote: You take the WW off the stand to take it out of the cage to clean. The most secure way to attach a WW to the bars is to attach the wheel to the cage on the outside, and then put the wheel on on the inside. (This means that more of the cage itself takes the weight, making it more stable/ secure.) The stand stays where it is in the longer term, and you just take the wheel on and off the stand to clean it. Even if for some reason you had the stand attached inside the cage then you could still remove the wheel from it inside the cage and only take the wheel out :)

eta - you can see it most clearly here that the stand is outside. To clean the wheel out of the cage I just take it off the stand, clean, put back on the stand.
That's a fab idea! Thank you.

ami_j

Post by ami_j » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:28 pm

JeanneNicole wrote: In that case I think I will have to go for the silent spinner due to getting the wheel in the cage as the cage opening I have is only really big enough if I can take it off the stand (want my daughter to be able to take it in and out easily for cleaning without having to take the cage fully off from the base. She has the Freddy Max 2 cage which is great apart from the not so great door opening!

Fingers crossed it won't come apart like some of the recent reviews have mentioned. The only other one I have seen that might be suitable but again only while they are very young and not full size is this one which the company says is suitable for rats http://www.amazon.co.uk/Savic-27-Large- ... ROKL5A1OLE
To get that one it would probably make sense to get the silent spinner, it is 21.99 so a few pounds more
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaytee-Superpet ... nt+spinner
Ratless
Owned by: Dexter (dog) Ozzy, Loki and Marceline (Cats) Dylan and Darcy (Rabbits) Halo + Tony (Syrian hamsters) Snufkin (Winter White hamster) Toffle (Roborovski) Firefly (Leopard Gecko) Launch and Rocket (Chipmunks) Rebecca (Ribbed Newt) Neo (Cockatiel)

Wilcox_87

Post by Wilcox_87 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:52 pm

I would love my boys to use a wheel! I am thinking of taking mine out though to create more floor space, I have had this group for nearly 8 weeks (they are 5 month old) and they pretend their wheel is not there! Occasionally Sam will try to use it as a stepping stone to get down from one of the hammocks, only to swiftly end up on the floor looking confused as to why on Earth that thing moved when he stood on it but that is about as much interaction as they have had with it for two months :roll:
Rose with Damon, River and Robin
To all my little heartbreakers, too many to name here, most recently: Remy :rattyrainbow:
And my beautiful boy Beans. You were the best cat in the World and were ripped away from us far too soon. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever :hearts:

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Thank you to everyone for all your help it really is appreciated.

After a lot of thought into pros and cons I have gone for the silent spinner as it will to begin with be a lot easier for my 11 year old daughter to clean and maintain. If the rats like it and get on with it I can then think about going for the wodent or tic tac at a later date.

I have bought it through Amazon so at least I know if there is a fault or a problem with the new version of this wheel then it can easily be returned.

Will keep you all updated as to how Euan and Scabbers get on and fingers crossed they like it!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:18 pm

If silence is important, then the tic tac wheels are definitely the ones to go for. I have one and it is absolutely silent.

If you buy a 14" diameter one, and they don't use it, then I will buy it off you. :luck:

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:30 pm

cyber ratty wrote:If silence is important, then the tic tac wheels are definitely the ones to go for. I have one and it is absolutely silent.

If you buy a 14" diameter one, and they don't use it, then I will buy it off you. :luck:
That's so sweet of you but I would be going for a 12" and I think unfortunately it would have to have a stand as the bar distance on the Savic is too small for it to mount onto.

If they get on with the spinner, then I will definitely upgrade to the tic tac

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:24 pm

Well finally one of the rats (Scabbers) loves his new wheel!!!

Apparently he spends quite a bit of the night going around like a nutter, fortunately it doesn't seem to be worrying my daughter too much, but I think I might invest in the tic tac one soon. Anyone have any experience of their plastic wheel's? Also if I do go for one it needs to be on a stand as the bars of the cage are too narrow for the fitting that allows it to be clamped to the cage. Will it be secure enough just on the stand on the shelf or is there a way of attaching the stand to the cage, maybe with cable ties like one of the previous posters did with the wonder wheel?

Many thanks

Return to “Habitat”