Does anyone reccomend this cage?

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
munkeymajik

Does anyone reccomend this cage?

Post by munkeymajik » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi,
Found this cage for a good price and was wondering if anyone has one or owned one?
http://www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/pro ... -blue.html

The price is good and I already have some galvanised mesh to cover it with as the bar spacing is quite wide.

I have 2 7 week old boys and currently have a furplast jenny. I absolutely hate this cage! I'm looking for something with better access and just trying to work out if it's worthwhile buying/making my own until I can afford a really nice one.

Thanks

munkeymajik

Re: Does anyone reccomend this cage?

Post by munkeymajik » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:14 pm

Just to clarify I hate the cage I have at present (furplast Jenny). The access is terrible.

Wilcox_87

Post by Wilcox_87 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:37 pm

It says it is 90 tall but do you have any other dimensions for it? In the picture it does not look particularly wide/deep but that could just be because there is no reference. For the same price you could get the Mamble 100 which has narrower bars so you would not need to put a mesh around it (probably making it easier to clean as boy pee gets EVERYWHERE :lol:) and I think it possibly has better dimensions for when they get a bit bigger.

Edit: Okay sorry, just saw the dimensions underneath and the overall space works out the same but I would still be inclined to go with the Mamble because of it's smaller bar spacing and larger floor plan :)
Rose with Rescue boys Frank, Dean and Sammy
The rat-friendly cat Beans and the Russian (vertically challenged) hamster Horatio Hamblower
Sleep well my beautiful girls Pip and Loki :girly: :rattyrainbow: :hearts:
Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:21 pm

Wilcox_87 wrote:... just saw the dimensions underneath and the overall space works out the same
Actually it doesn't, it is smaller than a Jenny, even before taking the lost height below it into account. I wouldn't use that cage as permanent housing for rats.

On the other hand, the mamble 100 is bigger than a Jenny in volume, and would be fine.

munkeymajik

Post by munkeymajik » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:35 pm

I looked at the mamble and it looks good but I'd be loosing quite a bit on the height and it will be just a little too wide as I'm retricted on where I can put the cage.
Being a new rat owner I'm not sure that if it's such a big deal I've just got it in my head that a higher cage is better, so advice would be welcome.
The Okki cage will be temporary so covering it with mesh won't be a big deal as I got some decent gauge quite cheap and will have enough to do it.
My main issue is access. The jenny is a perfect size but I'm finding it really hard work with spot cleaning and moving any of the hammocks and shelves. I'm looking at making my own cage but considering it's going to cost around £80 to do it how I want it and for it to look nice.
For not much more money I'll be able to buy one in a few months unless I make the cage out of wood and I'm not sure if thats the best option.
Any advice from an experienced rat owner would be welcomed.

bazu

Post by bazu » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:13 pm

I wouldn't recommend wood as a cage material, unless you're prepared for constant repairs as they gnaw on it!

My first cage was a home-made one (I also had an awkward space to fit into and a tighter budget than I'd have liked); I built the main frame out of cut-down garden stakes and fixed a stiff mesh around it, making sure the cut edges were all behind the stakes (out of reach) and/or securely taped up to make sure there was no risk of ratty injury. The door was a hole in one side, with a larger bit of mesh cut out and cable-tied in place to fit over it with a couple of cheap bolt latches to hold it shut, and the base was made from four cheap cat litter trays with edges cut off to suit, fixed to a thin bit of MDF.

It definitely wasn't the prettiest thing, but it was big enough for them and pretty sturdy, and only cost me about £30 IIRC - as a temporary measure, it was fine, and it's still usable even now if I desperately need an emergency cage!

You might be able to come up with something better, but hopefully that'll give you some more ideas if you want to go ahead with building your own :luck:

Edit: I found an early pic of it! I'd forgotten that I made the whole roof into an access hatch too :lol: Like I said, it's not the prettiest, but you can see that it functioned well enough :) Off the top of my head, I believe that cage had an 85x65cm footprint and was 85cm high, which was fine for my four girls~
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

munkeymajik

Post by munkeymajik » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:55 pm

That cage looks a lot better than a lot of home mades I've seen online! What have you used to make the door? I have some steel shelving units I can cut to size to make the frame. The cost is going to be in buying washers and rivet/bolts to fix the mesh and I'll need to buy some aluminium profile to make the doors. I really want something with a full opening front.
@ cyber ratty - being a breeder do you make your own? Any pics you could upload to give me some more ideas?
I've been keeping an eye out on cages world and they always seem to have some good deals so I'll weight things up over the next dew days.
Considering I only paid £25 for the jenny it's no real loss but I think I'd have been very annoyed had I paid the £130 for a new one! I'm a little surprised so many people recommend it.
Thanks to everyone for your advice it's appreciated :P

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:12 pm

You could always just make some bigger doors for the Jenny to improve access? I've done this with cages before - if you find a cheap second hand cage, you can cut panels from this to turn into a new door for the Jenny.

There's a good example here.

Unfortunately poor access is a problem with a lot of cages.
Jenny x
:girly: Dory, Silvermist, Pocket :dumbogirly: Belle
:rattyrainbow: Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

munkeymajik

Post by munkeymajik » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:38 pm

I thought about modding the cage, problem is I don't drive so if I find a cage it's getting it home. The other thing is that if I cock it up I'll have no cage! I picked up a small animal run/enclosure that I could use for the doors but I'm a bit unsure about using it while the boys are so small, the bars bend a bit in the middle and there's a good chance a 7 week old rat could easily squeeze through! I've found a good size cage on ebay, if it's still there on fri (payday) I'll grab it.

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:49 pm

I've never owned a Jenny but from this forum quickly learned that it has awful access yet still seems to be commonly for sale. Modding doors is an option as squeakrat said. If you're looking on ebay, a Freddy 2 Max is the same size as the Jenny with one bigger central door, and the Furet Plus is a bit smaller but has an opening roof and you can easily connect two together.

If your boys are from a breeder with solid, healthy lines where the boys typically get to a good size, then 1 inch bar spacing may well be okay when they're older, but just bear in mind that some bucks never grow big enough to not be able to escape, so you'd need to be happy with having the wire on permanently.

Height is definitely nice in cages but having a reasonable amount of floor space is good too (usually 80x50 or more) to let them have some running space.
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

bazu

Post by bazu » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:15 pm

munkeymajik wrote:That cage looks a lot better than a lot of home mades I've seen online! What have you used to make the door? I have some steel shelving units I can cut to size to make the frame. The cost is going to be in buying washers and rivet/bolts to fix the mesh and I'll need to buy some aluminium profile to make the doors. I really want something with a full opening front.
The door was just a hole cut in the mesh (and taped over for safety) with another larger bit of mesh (about a 1" overlap all round) cable-tied at the top so it flapped down onto the cage. There were a couple of cheap bolt latches to keep it shut, and I attached a rare earth magnet so it would stay open or 'soft clip' shut as needed.

I used cable-ties to hold my cage together - if I remember, I used at least 9 along every joint, so that even if one or two got chewed through, they wouldn't be able to get out the gap/threaten the cage's integrity. It turned out that they rarely chewed them if they were on tight, and cable ties are cheap and quick to replace, so maintenance cost/effort was minimal.
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:44 am

munkeymajik wrote:@ cyber ratty - being a breeder do you make your own? Any pics you could upload to give me some more ideas?
No - I've got SRSs, an Explorer, and Duetto aviaries (pics on the relevant show your set up threads). The problem with home made cages is that mesh very quickly gets smelly as muck builds up in the corners of the squares, and I find it tricky to attach decent sized clips to small squared mesh. A cage with coated bars is definitely worth investing in.

If you can't go wider, then I would second the suggestion to just modify the Jenny in the short term, and once you've saved up, then replace it with either a freddy max or a tower made from two furet plusses.

In fact, I'm going to suggest:
First cut a hole in the front of your jenny and use the door from the roof so that you have a useful big door where you need it, and block off the roof hole using a cooling tray.
Then buy a second hand furet plus when a suitable one comes up (commonly available for £20 - 40, and they flat pack so can be posted or are easy to carry on public transport), and either fix that on top of the jenny, or buy a second one and replace the jenny with a FP tower.

munkeymajik

Post by munkeymajik » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:06 pm

Thanks for the tips. Cooling racks sound perfect and somthing I completley overlooked. I think my problem is analysis paralysis and I've really over thought it. Will do somthing with it this weekend and will use the mesh to make a nice big free roaming enclosure. I know my boys aren't ready for that but it will be nice to have it ready when the time comes.

munkeymajik

Post by munkeymajik » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:04 am

Thanks for everyones advice.
I ended up modding the jenny so the bottom 1/3 completely opened....then 2 days later got an explorer with some birthday money I'd been saving but decided their need was greater than mine!
Think it was a VERY good decision or perhaps not because now I'm thinking There's loads of room there, surely another 2 boys would be quite happy in there.......

Return to “Habitat”