Tic tac wheel

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
JeanneNicole

Tic tac wheel

Post by JeanneNicole » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:49 pm

I bought a silent spinner for my daughters boy rats as I didn't want to spend a fortune on a tic tac one if they were not going to use it. They both love it but one of them likes to pee in it too! She cleans it out daily but even with the disinfectant and odour spray it still smells. Would a metal tic tac wheel smell less as I'm sure I read somewhere that plastic can hold onto odours, but I could be wrong.

Many thanks,

Jeanne

izzerie
Admin Aide

Re: Tic tac wheel

Post by izzerie » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:03 pm

I don't know about it in terms of smell but I invested in a 14" wheel for my lads and I would say it is well worth it. Just that extra couple of inches makes a BIG difference for boy rats and lads of mine that had long stopped running in the wheel are now back running again. Well worth the £40 price tag, in my opinion.

As a side note, the daily cleaning might not be helping. It might be that they are making an extra effort to make the wheel smell of them because it keeps being cleaned. Try cleaning it less and seeing if, over time, the smell reduces.
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

celtic1888

Post by celtic1888 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:10 pm

Has anyone got any experience of the plastic ones. Are they flimsy as they look like soft plastic. My lot defo use wheels but I'm still looking for a brand that is quite as so far any of the so called silent ones are anything but.

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:03 pm

izzerie wrote:I don't know about it in terms of smell but I invested in a 14" wheel for my lads and I would say it is well worth it. Just that extra couple of inches makes a BIG difference for boy rats and lads of mine that had long stopped running in the wheel are now back running again. Well worth the £40 price tag, in my opinion.

As a side note, the daily cleaning might not be helping. It might be that they are making an extra effort to make the wheel smell of them because it keeps being cleaned. Try cleaning it less and seeing if, over time, the smell reduces.
I have to have one with a stand due to the narrow bar spacing of the cage. Do you think it could be secured to the cage by those plastic cable ties (name escapes me at the moment) as I worry about it being completely free standing?

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:02 pm

What cage do you have? The screws that come with the tictac are quite narrow, I can't think of a cage it wouldn't attach to. It's quite heavy so I wouldn't want it free standing and it doesn't come with one.
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:19 pm

I have the Freddy Max 2 cage. I contacted the maker of the wheels and she said because it has a 1cm bar spacing the middle bolt would be too large and not fit. She can however make it with a stand. I am just a bit worried about it being free standing.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:31 am

My tic tac wheel has a thick central bolt - it fits my SRS but not my duetto.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:18 pm

(I hope it's okay if I resurrect this thread?)

I've been contemplating getting a Tic Tac wheel for a while, but dragging my heels as I don't exactly need one... And now I'm pleased I've hemmed and hawed for so long because the metal wheels are now available in colours: red, pink, and most importantly blue! 8-) And they go up to 16" now, which I swear they didn't use to?

Just in case there are people with fashion-conscious rats out there, or rats that are extra-long and need a huge wheel. :D
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:15 pm

I now have three wheels - the first two were standard silver metal, the first was shiny, and the second is more textured. My third is a red one, but I was disappointed to find the metal is thinner, and it arrived slightly deformed. I may think about painting a silver one myself if I get any more.

Feline

Post by Feline » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:15 pm

celtic1888 wrote:Has anyone got any experience of the plastic ones. Are they flimsy as they look like soft plastic. My lot defo use wheels but I'm still looking for a brand that is quite as so far any of the so called silent ones are anything but.
I have a plastic one for my African Pygmy hedgehog- it's perfect for her and has a pedometer , but I wouldn't buy it for rats as I think it would be much too easy to chew through. They are made out of the base of plastic buckets.

My rats have the metal one with a stand, and I have attached the central bolt to the side of my SRS to stop it moving around so it's nice and solid. The bearings are shielded from chewing and pee running into them from above (my boys do things like that :lol: )

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:23 pm

cyber ratty wrote:I now have three wheels - the first two were standard silver metal, the first was shiny, and the second is more textured. My third is a red one, but I was disappointed to find the metal is thinner, and it arrived slightly deformed.
I asked the seller about the thinness of the coloured metal wheels (as I am very easily won over by things being the right colour :oops: ):
The plain ones are from a different supplier and made differently with a mould and therefore have no joins.

We had many requests for coloured wheels and only recently started selling them. Although it may appear they are made of a thinner metal, it is a different metal and had a different process to make them.

Have any of the customers complained about the quality as its not something they’ve mentioned to us direct? Feel free to quote my response if required but please impress that the quality in our product remains and customers can always come to me direct if they have an issue.
For what it's worth, I've found them very quick to respond so far, and very friendly. :luck:
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:51 pm

[cub] wrote:Although it may appear they are made of a thinner metal, it is a different metal
Just for the sake of noseyness, I'd be interested to know which metals they're made from. If you feel like emailing them back :lol:
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

ami_j

Post by ami_j » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:06 pm

Thinking of getting a couple of the plastic ones for my chipmunks- the silent spinner Launch has is driving me insane with its rattling.

How sturdy/good quality are they? Would love to see pics of how they attach to the bars
Ratless
Owned by: Dexter (dog) Ozzy, Loki and Marceline (Cats) Dylan and Darcy (Rabbits) Halo + Tony (Syrian hamsters) Snufkin (Winter White hamster) Toffle (Roborovski) Firefly (Leopard Gecko) Launch and Rocket (Chipmunks) Rebecca (Ribbed Newt) Neo (Cockatiel)

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:32 pm

Are we getting a review for the "Reviews" section of these wheels if they are so good ;) ?
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

ami_j

Post by ami_j » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:34 pm

I went for two metal ones instead... written a full review Here

Also have a video of one in action... I wasn't woken by clattering this morning :D

Chipmunk on his Tic Tac wheel
Ratless
Owned by: Dexter (dog) Ozzy, Loki and Marceline (Cats) Dylan and Darcy (Rabbits) Halo + Tony (Syrian hamsters) Snufkin (Winter White hamster) Toffle (Roborovski) Firefly (Leopard Gecko) Launch and Rocket (Chipmunks) Rebecca (Ribbed Newt) Neo (Cockatiel)

Return to “Habitat”