How often to wash hammocks

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Wilcox_87

How often to wash hammocks

Post by Wilcox_87 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi,

so I have typically stinky teenage boys who have six hammocks in their cage, along with tubes, ropes and baskets. They have two toilets which get cleaned once a week and have a green mile for bedding which gets a quick skip out once a week and a major clean out once a fortnight (they don't really poop or pee on the green mile so it just feels like a waste to throw it out every week, plus my compost bin cannot handle it :roll:). However every couple of weeks the hammocks get really stinky. I am very conscious of making sure that the cage stays smelling like them but it gets to a point where they are all you can smell lol. Is alternatively washing 3 out of the 6 hammocks every week too extreme? I want to find a balance between them not smelling the room out and not feeling like they have to constantly remark everything.

How often do other people wash hammocks/beds?

Any advice would be greatly received :D

Many thanks x
Rose with Klaus and Damon

Sleep well beautiful girls Pip and Loki, my gorgeous boys Moley Frank Sammy and Dean :rattyrainbow:
Run free my beautiful boy Beans. You were the best cat in the World and were ripped away from us far too soon. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever :hearts:

bazu

Re: How often to wash hammocks

Post by bazu » Mon May 16, 2016 10:26 pm

You could probably get away with having fewer hammocks, which should help with the smell - my lot only get 2, or maybe a third in a corner if I'm feeling nice. Less hammocks = less whiff! I then change those out every couple of weeks :)

As a side note, another benefit of having fewer hammocks is that it's fewer beds and more space for stuff to encourage activity instead :D
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

Wilcox_87

Post by Wilcox_87 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:42 pm

Thanks bazu :D I did try to cut down on the number of hammocks a while ago but they just looked at me like I was mean. I have a very large, tall cage and they enjoying wizzing from hammock to hammock to show their athletic prowess :) Also it is a bit of a safety thing as Sammy often belly kicks one of the others out of a hammock from underneath and it would be a long way for one of them to fall. I think every two weeks sounds like a good idea. That way I can wash half of them once a week so they are not left with all new smelling hammocks.

Sleep well beautiful girls Pip and Loki, my gorgeous boys Moley Frank Sammy and Dean :rattyrainbow:
Run free my beautiful boy Beans. You were the best cat in the World and were ripped away from us far too soon. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever :hearts:

bazu

Post by bazu » Mon May 16, 2016 10:46 pm

Ah, if it's a tall cage then yes, a few hammock levels is a better call!

It might be worth experimenting with doing all at once and with a 3-3 split to see what gives better results - mine don't seem to mark particularly fiercely after a full clean-out, but then they are girls and they tend to be more polite about these things :lol:
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue May 17, 2016 8:26 am

Washing a hammock after 7 - 14 days is perfectly normal, and positively advisable. :luck:

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Tue May 17, 2016 9:08 am

I replace the hammocks in my boy group weekly because they pee in them but my girl group (which has a neutered buck in but sssshhhh, he doesn't know know I call them that!) I replace every 10-14days because they don't make so much mess and don't pee in them so much.
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:10 am

I have a lady on diuretics so certain hammocks I have to change every few days as they become sodden with pee and stinky.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

rofay

Post by rofay » Tue May 17, 2016 9:44 am

I change mine every 3-5 days but that's with five boys who like to wee on them! Sometimes I'd change them even more often than that if I can see it's soaked through.

I have a lot of hammocks so I don't need to do a whole load of laundry just for a few things. I just keep a carrier bag on the go for stinky ones and wash it when I have enough to justify doing a wash.

Dutchie

Post by Dutchie » Tue May 17, 2016 1:29 pm

I change them at least once a week...my girls pee in them :P
And not just because of the smell but mostly for the rats themselves, since they are so susceptible to respiratory infections.

Feline

Post by Feline » Wed May 18, 2016 2:07 am

I just had to drill a hole in the bottom of my 2 sputniks as my rats seem to be enjoying peeing in them and then sleeping there while sodden in their own urine :roll:
At least now it will drain.
I give them 3 hammocks and put 2 in the wash every 4 days in rotation. There are 5 boys in there though :D

Helzie
Admin Aide

Post by Helzie » Thu May 19, 2016 4:46 pm

I wash/change the hammocks once a week. I wash my own sheets once a week, and I don't even pee in them (!) so I figure the rats need at least weekly fresh bedding! :lol:
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

chemikaze

Post by chemikaze » Thu May 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Oh my yes, once a week is more than necessary with my lot. I don't care what people say, my girls practically baste themselves in pee. They've been known to poop in the hammocks & fleece shelves when the litter tray's not been artfully positioned. Of course, more hammock washing = more and more clothes lost to a pair of scissors and 4 pear clips, it helps to have a bag of your ex's shirts and jeans on hand for this :D :lol:
Shift & Flicker, Lilium & Balthazaar
:dumborainbow: Styx, Taibhse, Odio, K-Flex, Ymber, Bubbles

Wilcox_87

Post by Wilcox_87 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:59 am

Hi guys, sorry, I have not been on the forum for a while!

Thank you for all of your great replies as usual, washing hammocks every week is working very well, smell significantly cut down :D and the boys do not seem to mind too much. They are just as happy peeing on each other (boys will be boys :lol:)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:25 am

Wilcox_87 wrote:have a green mile for bedding which gets a quick skip out once a week and a major clean out once a fortnight (they don't really poop or pee on the green mile so it just feels like a waste to throw it out every week, plus my compost bin cannot handle it :roll:). However every couple of weeks the hammocks get really stinky. I am very conscious of making sure that the cage stays smelling like them but it gets to a point where they are all you can smell lol.
One of the best ways I have found to balance this is to swap the main bed hammock on a different day to the main cleanout. Of course this isn't always possible depending on hammock specifics and layout changes, but it does help a lot as there's less drive to scentmark straight away.

Also on a similar line and given you've said it feels like a waste to throw out the green mile that's clean, another thing which can help a lot where there's smell but not mess is to not remove all the substrate each time. So say leave a quarter or a third or 'some' of the old batch and mix it in with the new. This reduces the throwing out of otherwise clean stuff, but does remove the majority of the substrate that is probably holding smell even though it doesn't look dirty. But with the addition of the fact that again from the rat's pov there's still a bit of their old smell present. Doing it this way I found that there was less of a build-up of smell before cleanout, although also slightly less of a 'mmm fresh' afterwards - rather a lowered more level rat smell over time.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

touie

Post by touie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:07 am

Mine get done twice a week, although now I am down to 2 older gentlemen I am finding I only need to change the main ones used!
Cloud, Jasper, Onyx

rattyrainbow Rocky, Rambo, Rolo, Polo, Scrumpy, Louis, Remy, Ando, Hiro, Stig, Apollo, Zeus, Resolution, Storm, Twiglet, Star, Smokey, Cosmos

Return to “Habitat”