Meshing a critter

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
acapae_wolf

Meshing a critter

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:58 pm

Say if someone *ahem* was considering meshing a critter*... How would you manage the doors in this?

*it's not actually a critter, it's part terenziani, part duval.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

squeakrat

Re: Meshing a critter

Post by squeakrat » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:39 pm

I've not meshed a cage before, but why are critter doors different to any other doors? Would you not just mesh the door separately?
Jenny x
:girly: Dory, Silvermist, Pocket :dumbogirly: Belle
:rattyrainbow: Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Because most other fully opening doors fit into a 'doorway' space e.g. the Furet Plus KD has a plastic moulding around the top which supports the fully opening door and clips from the moulding hold the door closed. Instead of this, critter doors sort of hug down around the sides of the cage on the outside, and the support comes from the top edges of the sides that the door is resting on. As the measurements involved in this method are precise so as to create a snug fit that's still relatively easy to open, the extra thickness of the mesh on the 3 non-hinge sides then made the total area the door had to hug too much.

If it had been a rescue situation I probably could have attempted to straighten the corners on the sides of the door and then rebent it in a different place. But the mesh the cages themselves are made out of is really thick and unbendable (part of why they last so long!)...

Sooo I scrapped that plan and moved everyone around so that I wasn't needing to mesh it :lol:
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:04 pm

Oh, the top door! I was thinking of the small doors...

Your solution sounds like a good one :)
Jenny x
:girly: Dory, Silvermist, Pocket :dumbogirly: Belle
:rattyrainbow: Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:28 pm

Oh sorry, I thought I'd mentioned that it was the top door in the OP, but I just looked and I'd missed that out! Your confusion makes more sense now :lol: :oops:

shiprat

Post by shiprat » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Why?!
Rat Out of Hell Rescue.

Return to “Habitat”