Savic royal suite for young rats

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Three plus three

Savic royal suite for young rats

Post by Three plus three » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:50 pm

Have searched for previous posts but couldn't find a definitive answer - hoping someone can advise please.

We have recently gained our first three rats - three young girls who are now about 11 weeks old. They are currently in the Mamble 100. This was recommended to us as we wanted a cage that would allow us to take them with us when we make weekend visits to family. A smaller cage also seemed like a good idea whilst the girls are still small.

However, it was always our intention to get a bigger, sturdier cage and we like the look of the Savic Royal Suite. I know its a big for three but we may expand in the future.......

The one reservation I have is the bar spacing as it will be larger than the Mamble. I have read that 'if they can get their head through' "rule" - but their fur kind of disguises just how small their heads are!

Would you recommend the SRS for females - and if so, should we wait a few more weeks before putting the rats into it?

Many thanks in advance.

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Re: Savic royal suite for young rats

Post by Mayamy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:25 pm

The bar spacing for the SRS should be fine for does - just make sure you push the right panel on the top, as the bottom and middle mesh are wider (but have a tray sitting over them, so the rats don't come into contact with them).

I know lots of people who keep does in them, including me. I'm pretty sure I've had 8 week olds in mine, and I've definitely had 230g-260g rescue does live in it with zero issues.
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:55 am

Yep, like Mayamy said, so long as you put the correct panel on top (it should have the same bar spacing as the side panels) it'll be fine for youngsters. According to my records, I've had 180-190g 7 week old girls in mine, and nobody escaped. (Not through the bars anyway; the exodus when you open a door is another matter! :lol: )

I wouldn't say it's big for 3 either; I've only ever had 2-4 rats in mine and they've never looked overwhelmed by the space. Especially when they're young and pinging around; you'll be amazed how quickly they get from one end of the cage to the other! I love the cage; I don't think I can go back to anything without fully opening doors now that I've gotten used to them.
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:50 pm

[cub] wrote:I love the cage; I don't think I can go back to anything without fully opening doors now that I've gotten used to them.
Same- I went to a furet tower for a bit after reducing numbers and I hated it. Went back to an explorer at the beginning of the year and it's the best thing ever! :D
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

Three plus three

Post by Three plus three » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:35 am

Thank you for all the replies.

Have bought scales and weighed all the girls - all just over 200g.

Cage ordered :D
Husband warned of size of cage :evil:
Very excited!

Helzie
Admin Aide

Post by Helzie » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:07 pm

Great - you and your girls will love it! (can't promise about the husband...). It's a fab cage - I've had mine since I first welcomed two little baby boys, and I've never had more than 6 rats max in it- usually fewer as my group size tends to be 4. They love all the room.

But yeah, make sure you put the thing up the right way. I managed to mess that up the first time I assembled it, it's easy to do!
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:45 am

Mine is assembled wrong too!
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:01 pm

I think some SRS's a while ago were being supplied with 2 bottom panels instead of bottom and top so there were loads of complaints about escaping rats.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

Return to “Habitat”