Lining cages

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
ami_j

Lining cages

Post by ami_j » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:10 pm

I have two cages that have bars on the bottom, due to the design if I took out the wire grid then escape would be extremely easy. I am wanting a liner to cover the bars, what would everyone recommend?
Ratless
Owned by: Dexter (dog) Ozzy, Loki and Marceline (Cats) Dylan and Darcy (Rabbits) Halo + Tony (Syrian hamsters) Snufkin (Winter White hamster) Toffle (Roborovski) Firefly (Leopard Gecko) Launch and Rocket (Chipmunks) Rebecca (Ribbed Newt) Neo (Cockatiel)

acapae_wolf

Re: Lining cages

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:58 pm

I just saw your FB photos and was wondering about that haha :p

Can you take a photo of the bottom area and the gap there would be if you removed them though? I can't picture it in my head, which is making it hard to think of suggestions.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

ScissorCrow

Post by ScissorCrow » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:48 pm

Lino/Vinyl over the wire? Though it might get chewed and will eventually absorb the smell.

Others have ordered custom made metal trays, or you could see if the dimensions happen to be the same as a plastic dog crate tray? But those two options would only work if you could get the tray into the cage, so it depends on your door access/deconstructability.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:45 am

How are you planning to keep the loose substrate in? If the cage doesn't already have a suitable tray, I would think a made to measure perspex or metal tray will solve both issues.

If the cage has a tray which is designed to slide out through a gap below the grill, then once you've removed the grill, you could raise the tray up to prevent rats accessing the gap. (Although, that won't be secure if the tray is plastic that could be chewed.) Alternatively it might be possible to attach a removable metal panel to block the gap from the outside.

Return to “Habitat”