Thoughts please. ETA mixed animal room

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Bilbo

Thoughts please. ETA mixed animal room

Post by Bilbo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:56 pm

Our spare bedroom is a pet room, it has washable floors and wipe clean services. In it are our hamsters, mice and guinea pigs, since we got the rats I have put off putting them in there as I worry they will get up set with the other animal smells and its a silly worry but madeye seems to enjoy laying in her hammock and watching TV . Does anyone else keep rats in a mixed animal room?

Note: title extended for clarity
Seeker, Chaser.,Luna and Madeye.
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

[cub]

Re: Thoughts please. ETA mixed animal room

Post by [cub] » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:13 pm

My rats and gerbils live in the same room and I haven't noticed either of them being bothered by it. They are a couple metres apart, but they must be able to smell and hear each other.

Provided they can't have any direct contact with the other species in your pet room, I'm sure your rats would be absolutely fine in there. Rats do predate on smaller rodents, so I'd imagine it'd be the mice and hamsters that get upset if anything, but even then they should get used to their ratty neighbours in time, if they haven't already acclimatised. (Given that you presumably don't shower and change your clothes every time you go from one cage to another, the mice and hamsters should already be used to the smell of rat.)
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

ami_j

Post by ami_j » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:18 pm

I have a room with 2 chipmunks, 2 syrian hamsters, 4 mice, a winter white and a Roborovski and they all seem happy if that is helpful? :)

I also used to keep my hamsters across from my rats when they were downstairs and again they seemed happy
Ratless
Owned by: Dexter (dog) Ozzy, Loki and Marceline (Cats) Dylan and Darcy (Rabbits) Halo + Tony (Syrian hamsters) Snufkin (Winter White hamster) Toffle (Roborovski) Firefly (Leopard Gecko) Launch and Rocket (Chipmunks) Rebecca (Ribbed Newt) Neo (Cockatiel)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:52 pm

[cub] wrote:Provided they can't have any direct contact with the other species in your pet room, I'm sure your rats would be absolutely fine in there. Rats do predate on smaller rodents, so I'd imagine it'd be the mice and hamsters that get upset if anything, but even then they should get used to their ratty neighbours in time, if they haven't already acclimatised. (Given that you presumably don't shower and change your clothes every time you go from one cage to another, the mice and hamsters should already be used to the smell of rat.)
This is what I was going to say - no worries for the rats, but take care from the POV of the others' if needed to start with :) I would add-on that if you're going to free range the rats in there as well, do take care with regards to rats having access to climbing on the cages of prey species.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Bilbo

Post by Bilbo » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:29 pm

Thankyou everyone that's great.
Seeker, Chaser.,Luna and Madeye.
Sweet dreams Nimbus.

Return to “Habitat”