Bedding Help

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
kimbellem

Bedding Help

Post by kimbellem » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:34 am

Hello, I do hope you can help this novice

I pick up my rat babies on Saturday, and I have most of the stuff for the cage. I am confused.

What do I put on the bottom of the cage?
What do I use for Litter trays?
What do I use for their House?

Where is the best place to get it all from?

Thanks in advance..

Confused soon to be Rat owner :D

ElizabethW

Re: Bedding Help

Post by ElizabethW » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:26 pm

Hello and welcome :)
For the floor of their cage, the best thing to use is a paper based bedding as it is absorbent and won't irritate ratty chests. Some examples are Finacard and Greenmile but there are others and it's just a matter of finding one that works for you and your rats. If you do a a search on here you'll find lots and lots about different substrates. If you have a local horse shop they may well have a suitable paper bedding which will work out cheaper for you.

To help the rats differentiate between bedding and toilet, it's best to use a different texture in their litter trays. 100% paper cat litters such as Papelit and Back2Nature are good, but there are others available.

Finacard and Papelit can be bought straight from the Finacard website (delivery is free) and RatRations stock different substrates and litters too; there will be other places but now we've found substrate that suits us we've got lazy and only tend to shop in either of these places :oops: It's often cheaper to buy substrate by the bale if you have the room to store it!

For their houses or just as 'bedding' for them to do what they like with, any paper goes really! You can buy paper bedding but it's often cheaper to give them a loo roll, box of cheap tissues or kitchen roll - just pop it in and they'll rip it up and use it how they want it. Newspaper is fine too.

This article might be useful to you:
http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... f=110&t=64

Hope this helps a bit :)
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

kimbellem

Post by kimbellem » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:16 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Helped lots. Do any supermarkets supply it x

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:47 pm

I think you can pick up Back 2 Nature litter from Pets At Home, but unless you have a local horse place you will probably need to order substrate for the cage floor. I don't know what other places are like, but we've always found Finacard and RatRations super quick with delivery :)
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:43 am

Hay and straw are also good as alternative materials for their beds. Whatever you put in, they will move it around to where they want it anyway. ;)

The key to all beddings is to choose a good quality one that is not dusty.

Return to “Habitat”