Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Training rats to 'come home'
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:40 am 

Hello,

I have two very excitable and lively girls and I'd like to allow them out with more space to play. Poppy has 'escaped' a few times and never shows any inclination to get back in her cage when she does. How do I train my rats to go home so that I can let them out and know that they will eventually return to their cage or I can get them back in when I need to?

Post subject: Re: Training rats to 'come home'
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:45 pm 

Get them in a routine where they get fed once they return to the cage after playtime. I haven't needed to use this tactic myself so I'm not certain, but I suspect you'd need to make it quite a regular thing, with a fixed amount of playtime.

If you just want to be able to leave the cage doors open and let the rats come in and out, then provided the room they're in is fully rat-proofed, there's no reason why you can't just let them return home in their own time. Unless the cage is an unpleasant place to be (in which case you have other problems), most rats will take themselves home once they're done exploring; it's where all their stuff is, after all. If you need to put them back in their cage earlier than they'd prefer, there's also no reason why you shouldn't just retrieve them yourself.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:42 pm 

I don't believe the cage is a horrible place to be and as far as I can tell Poppy isn't afraid of me. She will happily climb on me and run around on my lap. But when she escapes she runs down the back of the cage and stays there. She stays a good four feet away, won't climb on me to get back in the cage and she runs away if I approach her or even look at her. It's not possible for me to completely rat proof my flat sadly as I live in a rented property with electric heaters with chewable cables and a few other ratty hazards so I can't leave them loose all night. I have bought a tent so that I can give them a bigger space to free range in. Penny will happily run in and out of the cage when she is let loose but for some reason Poppy just seems to prefer not to go back in?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:11 pm 

I'm not sure how to post images on here? Other wise I would post pictures to show what I mean :S

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:13 pm 

CookiePumpkin wrote:
I'm not sure how to post images on here? Other wise I would post pictures to show what I mean :S

You can post images using this code:
Code:
[img]link to image here![/img]

Hopefully that helps!

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-two beautiful whiskery angels~

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat