Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Liberta 2nd Edition Explorer Vs SRS
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:17 pm 

Hi all!

So my partner and I have just bought our first house (I guess this means we are grown ups now :lol:) and I think it only fair that our monsters get a new house too!

They are currently in a tall all metal birdcage which is perfect for them but awkward for me as it only has small doors which makes cleaning difficult and it has a solid metal roof so I can only hang hammocks/toys from the walls. I have been putting money aside for a SRS and have enough saved up to get one, but then I saw the 2nd Edition Liberta Explorer, which would leave a bit extra money in my budget for new hammocks etc.

Does anyone know of any major advantages of one compared to the other? I think they both have plastic trays (correct me if I am wrong) and I have no idea if my boys are tray eaters as they have never been given the opportunity, my previous girls would chew large escape holes in plastic trays which is how I ended up with the all metal cage. They are both the same dimensions and have the same layout so it makes it a bit difficult to decide without actually seeing one first.

Any help from anyone who has experience with these cages would be greatly appreciated :love:

Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Post subject: Re: Liberta 2nd Edition Explorer Vs SRS
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:04 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Personally I would say SRS. I have both an SRS (ok, 2 joined now) and an old type Explorer. I got deep metal trays made as the flimsy plastic trays just don't hold enough substrate. Where I volunteer we have the new type explorers. They have metal trays but they rust very easily and aren't deep enough so substrate goes everywhere. They don't have the middle grille either so it's really hard to hang stuff in the middle of the cage plus I don't feel they are as sturdy as they used to be. The catches on the new Explorers are nice however.

Post subject: Re: Liberta 2nd Edition Explorer Vs SRS
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:27 am 

Thanks Rhian! I was hoping that someone would reply who had experience with both :D

I know the trays on both of them are quite shallow so I had already decided to get some custom trays made for whichever one I went for but it is good to know that the Explorer is not as sturdy. The middle shelf would not be too much of an issue at the minute as everyone in the cage is currently only a year old so I would probably remove it to make more climbing space, but it is good to know for the future that the Explorer doesn't have a grill to hang things from when people get old. I also noticed last night that the Explorer only has vertical bars, my current cage as horizontal bars on two sides (like the SRS) so the boys are used to being able to spring directly up the side of the cage to get to where they want at super speed :lol: I think it also probably makes placements of accessories easier with the horizontal bars.

Yep, I think I have made my decision.......SRS it is! I have been wanting one for three years so I am very excited now!

Note that I did not take much persuading :lol:

Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat