Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Worried about rats smelling
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:42 pm 

A few months back I looked after a lovely pair of male rats for a friend, and too see how I do looking after them.

Firstly, those guy smelt. They smelt so bad no one would come into my room. I cleaned them every week (had them for 2 weeks), spot cleaned nearly every day. They just smelt like poop more than pee.

I am looking to finally house my own male rats but home them in a Critter Nation 161, the rats I looked after were in a slightly smaller cage from pets at home. I'm also looking to use fleece as the bedding as paying £££ each week for a bag of paper bedding (that I have to throw away after one use) begins to get way too pricey for someone on a low wage.

Am I worrying too much about them smelling?
Will the cage size make a difference?
Any reasons to why the ones I looked after smelt so bad in the first place?
Any tips to stop them from smelling?

I really appreciate any help and tips to put my mind at ease.

Post subject: Re: Worried about rats smelling
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:10 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

There are a few factors that make them smell but a small group really shouldn't smell so bad that people win't enter the room.

What were they being fed? Diet is usually the main culprit for poo smelling very strong. Were they litter trained? What substrate were they kept on? I really wouldn't advise keeping rats on fleece as it gets smelly very quickly and doesn't allow natural digging behaviour.

Cleaning too much and using shelves can cause a strong urine smell but you have already daid this wasn't the issue in that case.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:08 pm 

Hey they were being fed Pets at Home rat food nuggets, which is what I was given to feed them. If I got my I own I would be making my own food with the correct things they need to thrive.

One layer of the cage had fleece and the bottom tray had back2nature, which was a pain in the ass to clean out lol

They were sort of litter trained, I found the occasional poop on the fleece

Thanks for replying :)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:24 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

The major smell was probably the nuggets. They are notorious for making rats poo smell awful. I would suggest using the back to nature pellets in the litter tray and either a shreeded card such as Finacard, cardboard squares such as Ecobale or Aubiose as substrate. You will probably need to look into a deeper base for that cage though as the trays are too shallow and the substrate will get kicked out.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:04 pm 

Honestly if substrate is too pricey for you, you might want to think again about getting rats as pets. They are relatively cheap to keep up until the point you need to go to the vet with them..

~Elise & the rats of Rattery Castor: Bagheera, Dex, Doctor, Elrond, Eomer, Fenris, Flowix, Gregory, Grissom & H2O, H'amneko, Arwen, Brennan, Celestia, Deb, Donna, Rapunzel, Elwynn, Eonar, GLaDOS, Geronimo

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:53 am 

I have money put aside for any vet bills, that's not an issue. :)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:29 am 
Fancy Rats Team

'Normal' substrates are not expensive, the toilet pellets (like back2nature) are, but if you only use them in the toilet then a bag goes a long way.

A bale of finacard, for instance, will easily last you 2 or 3 months, and I think costs £14 including delivery. :luck:

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat