Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Girls chewing out of everything!! What cage to get?
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:05 pm 

Hi everyone

My girls have discovered that they love to chew plastic - which must be terrible for their health - and I can't work out how to stop them. It started by them chewing two litter trays to absolute destruction. They have now worked out how to chew through the base of their plastic cage and I came home to two very smug ratties sitting on my dining room table!!

We have modified the cage at the moment by putting some mesh and mdf on the bottom so they can't reach the plastic, but this is not a long term solution as it's reduced their space and they can't dig as much as they'd like to. They are spending Christmas in a house with two cats so security is essential!!

Any recommendations on an all metal cage? I am worried the ones I've seen are going to be really messy as they don't have a deep bottom for all the subsrate and my girls love to kick this around all over. Im also worried about bumble foot on a mesh one.

Any ideas or recommendations would be great - I just have the two little girls who are just over a year old. Thank you! x

Post subject: Re: Girls chewing out of everything!! What cage to get?
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:20 pm 
Admin Aide

Oh no! :shock:

don't worry about their health - they won't be swallowing what they chew as rats' mouths can close off behind their front teeth to prevent them eating what they gnaw. But the escapology must stop!

the critter cage is all metal, but is a horrible cage - and pretty small but ok for 2 girls for a bit, but I've only used it as a holiday or hospital cage for very small numbers. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Critter-All-Metal-Cage-Medium/dp/B006LPTMH0

the Aventura says its all metal, but you'd need to modify it to stop substrate falling out. http://www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/products/metal-aventura-huge-metal-rat-ferret-chinchilla-cage.html

Many people get trays made specially to replace plastic ones or get plastic sides made to deepen the base and stop substrate falling ou- I've not had to, so am not sure who to suggest, but this might be your best option, depending on timescale!

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:11 pm 

I think some plastic ones might be ok, it depends on the style of the base. Ferplast have that lovely ridge round just perfect for ratty teeth to get round. Little monkeys!

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:13 pm 

RedFraggle wrote:
I think some plastic ones might be ok, it depends on the style of the base. Ferplast have that lovely ridge round just perfect for ratty teeth to get round. Little monkeys!

I have one of the Ferplast cage model they work pretty well, i would recommend them to anyone.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:05 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Since this thread has been bumped up, I'll add another couple of metal cage options...

A chinchilla cage like the Atalanta

A flight cage such as the Hamberley or this tall one (smaller footprint).

What solution did you decide on in the end?

Zephyr Rat Stud

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat