Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: The best rates cage on the market?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:14 pm 

I was wondering what was the best ratcage to buy. I'm looking to get about 6 rats in the future so I'm fully researching it now, so I know what to expect and what's the right size for them, I'm looking for a cage without wire bottoms or wire shelves as to not cause bumble foot preferable a very large with many shelves.

Links would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: The best rates cage on the market?
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:43 am 

I love our Savic Royal Suite (SRS). We have 6 beautiful girls in ours and it suits them well. The front of the cage is essentially 4 big doors which open out allowing great access and makes it relatively easy to clean. You can split the cage into two halves as well. The main drawback is the very low depth of the trays in the base which means substrate easily gets flung out of the cage onto the floor (and then somehow finds its way all around the house!). There is, however, a thread on the forum about making/getting a deeper Perspex base. For the SRS which I intend to do asap!

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pet ... age/132223

When you say you are looking to get 6 rats, do you have a plan for this? Where are you getting them from? Will you get them all at once? Will they be babies or adults or a mixture?
I myself am no expert but it's worth getting lots of advice about these sorts of questions from the experts that do hang around on this forum.

Good luck!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:20 am 
Fancy Rats Team

I agree that the SRS is an excellent choice if you have the space and the pennies (worth looking for one second hand), so a budget alternative would be a furet plus tower, they are easily found on ebay and other sites. Join the two furet plus cages together as per the examples in this thread. There wouldn't be a lot of floor space though, so it's not as suitable for 6 large boys as it would be for 6 girls.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:26 pm 

I think I will most likely get a srs cage, and hopefully I can find a breeder in the north east of England which I'm not having any luck with, if I can then they would most likely be babies, but I'm not sure if they srs' bars are suitable for infants, it's a long term plan to get rats, probable not for another 6 month, just trying to get all the information I can to make the best choices when I do. I'll be getting them all at once so they already have a familiar group, not sure what sex to get at the minute, any and vice on this would be great, also can you extend the srs cages by buying another and joining them?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:30 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Babies are fine in an SRS. :)

Yes they can be extended - there are two side by side in this thread, and it's also possible to add a half on top.

I would suggest starting with 3 or 4, and then add an extra 2 or 3 after a year, and keep the group rolling on like that - it's good for rats to live with mixed ages.

The choice of boys or girls is very personal - I recommend meeting the breeder's rats and seeing which you find you click best with.

It's worth popping along to a North of England Rat Society show - and you'll be able to broaden your options by meeting breeders from the North West as well. :luck:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:53 pm 

I also recommend the SRS if you have the space and funds, and I second cyber ratty's advice to start with a smaller group and then add more rats later. Older rats benefit from having younger company to encourage them to stay more active, and it also means you won't have half a dozen rats all getting old at once, which can be quite heartbreaking, not to mention expensive! Introducing new rats to an established group is generally not too difficult, and it's something you'll need to do sooner or later anyway if you intend to keep rats long term.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:05 am 

I had a Furet Tower cage and it's massive but AWFUL to clean out, it was a 2 man job, my OH had to help me lift the top half off and on again, and I found cleaning it a hideous chore. If it had large doors on more than just one side that would have helped, but I eventually ditched it and bought a Liberta 2 (cheaper than SRS and nearly the same). The front opening doors are HEAVEN and cleaning out is bliss. I use fleecy flooring so don't even need to remove the trays.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat