Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Aquarium?
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:08 pm 

Hello everyone!
I'm hoping to be a new rat owner soon, and I had a quick question.

Are aquariums okay for them to live in?

Now, I've read things saying no but they're asking about small, tiny ones.

My glass tank is 40 gallons, and I haven't seen anyone ask about bigger ones.

If the answer is yes, then how would I go about adding stuff to it? I know rats needs a lot of run around room so needless to say the glass tank wouldn't provide ramps and the like, so are there things I can buy with suction cups on them? Like hammocks and such?

Cheers!

***It's not an actual aquarium, like fish. It's a reptile aquarium. ***

Post subject: I'm a little nervous, about to me a new ratmom.
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:21 pm 

I just posted a bit ago asking if a 40 gallon reptile aquarium would do as their home.
But I'm afraid that might not be the best option for them, because of it being glass and nothing will be able to fit in it for them to climb on and stuff.
I don't want them to be unhappy by not having stuff to play with and exercise with.
But I was looking around in the layout forum and noticed a lot of people just had small cages with a TON of stuff hanging everywhere and everything.
Would that be the best option here?
Is that easy to clean out? what with all of that stuff hanging everywhere?
And would it work for 2 males, from baby to full grown?

But I can't seem to find any suitable cages online, does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Aquarium?
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:18 pm 

I would say no, even with a vivarium as most are full sliding glass at the front. This will not allow any air circulation and the smell would build up (ammonia from wee) and be not an pleasant environment for Rats.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:22 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Hi there. :)

No, an aquarium would not make a good home for rats. It would be hard to clean, very hard to accessorize and because of lack of ventilation it would risk causing respiratory problems (rats are very prone to these)

Fortunately there are lots of really good rat cages out there. Have a browse of the show your set up pages
viewforum.php?f=42
for some inspiration on setting up a rat cage.

If you let us know what sort of footprint you have available I'm sure we can help you find some suitable cages :smile:

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:32 pm 

What country are you in? Just wondering from your comment saying you can't find any cages online.

Post subject: Re: I'm a little nervous, about to me a new ratmom.
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:10 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Takahashi wrote:
...But I was looking around in the layout forum and noticed a lot of people just had small cages with a TON of stuff hanging everywhere and everything.

A cage is always the best option, but it does need to be a good size. Perhaps you have misinterpreted the sizes being shown - the minimum dimensions for my preference would be 80 x 50 x 80cm, which isn't small but is still a reasonable size for the average home. Whatever size cage you choose, you do need to provide sufficient enrichment within it to make the most of the space- rats can't fly after all. ;)

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:32 pm 

acapae_wolf wrote:
What country are you in? Just wondering from your comment saying you can't find any cages online.

the US

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:45 pm 

So, I'm having a difficult time uploading a picture. But, my question was going to be, would a small wire dog crate work?

If you go to Google and type it in, it's like those but mine only has one door. And it's pretty spacious.
There are just no ramps or anything like that.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:07 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I would expect the bar spacing to be too wide on a dog crate.

If you got to amazon. com, there is a wide selection of cages... these would all be suitable:

https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Hendryx-485-Products-Hammertone/dp/B000QFMYWQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1486231155&sr=1-3&keywords=rat+cage, but add a deep tray at the bottom like this one

This one is smaller, but would also need the deeper tray, although it might be possible just to remove the wire floor https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Pet-Products-Chinchilla-495/dp/B001W8MDKO/ref=sr_1_17?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1486231155&sr=1-17&keywords=rat+cage

Or there's this one https://www.amazon.com/Wrought-Chinchilla-32-Inch-19-Inch-Removable/dp/B00E4WL6O4/ref=sr_1_8?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1486231155&sr=1-8&keywords=rat+cage

and if you prefer one with a good base to start with, this cage would be alright for 3 or 4 rats https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Habitat-Multi-Level-Exotics-18-Inch/dp/B00CETSHN2/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1486231155&sr=1-5&keywords=rat+cage

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:24 am 

cyber ratty wrote:
I would expect the bar spacing to be too wide on a dog crate.

If you got to amazon. com, there is a wide selection of cages... these would all be suitable:

https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Hendryx-485-Products-Hammertone/dp/B000QFMYWQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1486231155&sr=1-3&keywords=rat+cage, but add a deep tray at the bottom like this one

This one is smaller, but would also need the deeper tray, although it might be possible just to remove the wire floor https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Pet-Products-Chinchilla-495/dp/B001W8MDKO/ref=sr_1_17?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1486231155&sr=1-17&keywords=rat+cage

Or there's this one https://www.amazon.com/Wrought-Chinchilla-32-Inch-19-Inch-Removable/dp/B00E4WL6O4/ref=sr_1_8?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1486231155&sr=1-8&keywords=rat+cage

and if you prefer one with a good base to start with, this cage would be alright for 3 or 4 rats https://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Habitat-Multi-Level-Exotics-18-Inch/dp/B00CETSHN2/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1486231155&sr=1-5&keywords=rat+cage

Bless you for this work lol

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat