Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Plastic tube
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:41 pm 

Hi guys. Just became the happy owner of three nine week old males. Two seem to have settled in quite nicely over the last week and are already quite comfortable to climb on me and be stroked. One seems a little shy however and will be getting a bit more gentle attention to hopefully make it feel more relaxed. I just had one of those extendable plastic tubes delivered for them and just wonder what your thoughts are on these. My slight concern is that it seems to be made from quite a weak plastic and I'm worried that if they chew it they may eat some. I know the tube is supposed to be for rats but I don't want to put anything in their cage that isn't a hundred percent safe. Any advice would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Plastic tube
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:52 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

They will probably chew the tube, but yu don't have to worry about rats swallowing what they chew - they can close their mouths behind their front teeth. Evolution is a wonderful thing! :D

However, I wouldn't put anything as enclosed as a tube into the cage until your shyer rat has become more confident. It won't help if he can hide in it.

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:15 pm 

Thanks for the advice. They already have one of those small bendy wooden tunnels and the shy one seems to spend his time in there while the other two are happy to roam around. Will leave the plastic tunnel out untill he becomes a bit more sociable. I don't really want to take the wooden one away though because I think he needs somewhere to have some security for now. One of them is the exact opposite, it just wants to be out and playing all the time :D

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:43 pm 

To be honest, Mary is right, if you have a shy rat you need to take out all the hidey holes and houses, that way they have no option but to get used to you. It may seem cruel, but it does work. You can put them back in in a few weeks time.

Sweet dreams forever Lola, Willow, Amy, Jennings, Amber, Reggie, Cordelia, Saffy, Remi, Harvey, Penny, Tia, Bernie, Mika, Ruby, Pearl, Castiel, Simon, Luna, Bobby, Meg, Dru, Kristal, Misty, Garth, Zen, Sam, Alvin, Theo, Dean, Monty :rattyrainbow:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:38 pm 

Ok thanks. Will take all hidey places out whilst I am at home but maybe put their litttle wooden home back in during the day when we're at work. I bought them from Pets At Home and was told they were Brothers but the shy one is slightly larger than the other two and not as playful so now I have my doubts. I was intent on buying two but when I was told the three on show were from the same litter I couldn't leave one behind. Looking back I seem to remember the shop guy saying something like he was pretty sure they were Brothers but wasn't totally convincing. It isn't a problem though because I think they're all great and the guy who sold them to me did give me some great advice and spent a lot of time making sure we got the right sized cage etc.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:16 am 

I think three is better than two. You can see the group develop and don't worry about having a shy one, I got two to join my group, one was extremely shy, he still is 4 months later but he is now showing progress and will come and sniff my hand willingly but doesn't mind being handled. I

Sweet dreams forever Lola, Willow, Amy, Jennings, Amber, Reggie, Cordelia, Saffy, Remi, Harvey, Penny, Tia, Bernie, Mika, Ruby, Pearl, Castiel, Simon, Luna, Bobby, Meg, Dru, Kristal, Misty, Garth, Zen, Sam, Alvin, Theo, Dean, Monty :rattyrainbow:

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:36 pm 

I gave up on those plastic tubes when I had our rats because they just chewed them up. If you have a carpet shop local to you, go and ask for some of the tubes that carpets are rolled around. These are great, usually free and an endless supply.

Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:56 pm 

That is a great idea. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat