SRS style shelf brackets

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Onthewires

SRS style shelf brackets

Post by Onthewires » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi all,
I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment, I've currently got my 2 remaining ratties living in a large parrot cage, which although is great for access and space conservation, is hard to make levels in because of vertical bars. My current solution is cat litter trays filled with substrate hung on the cage with clips (like a hammock), but I don't trust the fixings and putting them is a nightmare, so I'm thinking an ideal solution would be to have SRS shelf style brackets that I could just slot the trays in and out of. I've been looking at a few metal fabrication sites but none seem to have that sort of thing. Just wondering if anyone has any idea of a good place to go for custom projects like this, or if anyone has a better shelf solution that I've missed? Having gone through about 5 different cages in the past 2 years, I think I'd rather spend out and have something custom made rather than go through the process of getting another. Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)
Leah

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: SRS style shelf brackets

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:25 pm

Why do you feel the need for levels? I've removed them from my cages.

You could just use a couple of large litter trays.

Onthewires

Post by Onthewires » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. At the moment they're living with my parents who aren't fussed about layouts, so I thought shelves would be a more straightforward way of giving them a bit more space vertically. My older boy's a little poorly coordinated too as he's missing an eye so he finds ropes and hammocks quite difficult.

The large litter trays are working for now but it's just a bit of a nightmare to clip them all in with pear clips and make them level/secure, so I thought if I could find some sort of bracket it would just be a little easier for my mum to change them.
Leah

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:35 pm

Another idea for you - slip an identical litter tray into the one you've hung up... it can be easily removed and cleaned without disconnecting the other tray from the cage. :luck:

Onthewires

Post by Onthewires » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Ah, I hadn't even thought of that! Brilliant, I'll give it a go next time I'm home :D
Leah

Return to “Habitat”