Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: SRS style shelf brackets
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:06 pm 

Hi all,
I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment, I've currently got my 2 remaining ratties living in a large parrot cage, which although is great for access and space conservation, is hard to make levels in because of vertical bars. My current solution is cat litter trays filled with substrate hung on the cage with clips (like a hammock), but I don't trust the fixings and putting them is a nightmare, so I'm thinking an ideal solution would be to have SRS shelf style brackets that I could just slot the trays in and out of. I've been looking at a few metal fabrication sites but none seem to have that sort of thing. Just wondering if anyone has any idea of a good place to go for custom projects like this, or if anyone has a better shelf solution that I've missed? Having gone through about 5 different cages in the past 2 years, I think I'd rather spend out and have something custom made rather than go through the process of getting another. Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: SRS style shelf brackets
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:25 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Why do you feel the need for levels? I've removed them from my cages.

You could just use a couple of large litter trays.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:31 pm 

Thanks for the reply. At the moment they're living with my parents who aren't fussed about layouts, so I thought shelves would be a more straightforward way of giving them a bit more space vertically. My older boy's a little poorly coordinated too as he's missing an eye so he finds ropes and hammocks quite difficult.

The large litter trays are working for now but it's just a bit of a nightmare to clip them all in with pear clips and make them level/secure, so I thought if I could find some sort of bracket it would just be a little easier for my mum to change them.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:35 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Another idea for you - slip an identical litter tray into the one you've hung up... it can be easily removed and cleaned without disconnecting the other tray from the cage. :luck:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:08 pm 

Ah, I hadn't even thought of that! Brilliant, I'll give it a go next time I'm home :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat