Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Time to halve my SRS - 2 rats
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:11 am 

So after 7 years of keeping rats I am down to my last 2. I'm sadly thinking I'm going to take a break after these guys and see how I feel.....

I have an srs and the rats have access to both levels but I'm thinking do they only need half. They tend to choose to stay in the top anyway as its where I scatter feed etc but I'm torn with feeling mean and losing half but not sure if they need it etc

Any thoughts ?

Post subject: Re: Time to halve my SRS - 2 rats
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:40 am 

What a sad decision to make. I've been keeping rats for 5 years myself and thinking of giving myself another 9 years (when I'm 60). I currently have 6 boys who tend to spend all of their time at the bottom of their SRS and have been thinking of doing the same. I don't think it is mean, half an SRS is still plenty of space for 2 rats. If that is all the space they use then they won't notice any diferrence anyway :lol:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:41 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Is there any real point in reducing the size? I agree that half is certainly plenty of space for 2 but if there's no other reason to close off the other half then I'd keep it open. Maybe set the other half up in a totally different way so that they have a living half and a play/discovery half?

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Stud (rattery site)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:38 pm 

I agree with Mary. If they're still able to get around and just choose not to, I'd consider changing the layout to encourage them to make more use of the space first. I had 2 in a full SRS for a while and they bombed around it quite happily. Is there a reason you've got to scatter feed at the top? I find feeding at the bottom is the easiest way to encourage full use of space, since their preferred bed is almost always at the top.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:33 pm 

Thanks everyone

There is no real reason other than it was just a thought. The boys are of different ages - 22 months and 15 months. Both happily plodding along.

I've always just scatter fed at the top. Both halves have substrate in deep trays and the top half is more "bed area" and the bottom has a more climbing type stuff though I don't see them use it much. When we do free range I open the bottom doors and so they run from top to bottom and then down a ladder to the playpen area. Other than that I don't think they use much of the ropes etc. They are quite lazy and I think as numbers decrease - mine certainly - become more inactive. So no. I can leave it all in use.

The reason I'm not continuing is the illness side of things. Every rat I've had has become poorly with or without age and never gets better. I lost my dog last year after a 5 month battle with cancer and since then I'm finding it hard to deal with another illness. I lost one rat in January and another just 2 weeks ago. I'm gutted really. There are so many rats I want to have. I always said I'd have another black rat hopefully dumbo before I gave up but I'm not sure I can carry on. Shame as I love having them.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat