Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Insence/Air freshener that's safe to use?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:45 am 

I just got my first male rats and they don't smell BAD, but they do have a small musky type odour and at first it was fine but now whenever i'm in my room (the room they're in too) I just feel sick smelling it. What kinds of air fresheners are safe to use around the rats?
I never spray perfume or anything with chemicals near them. I heard baking soda helps, is this true and safe? :?:

Post subject: Re: Insence/Air freshener that's safe to use?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:31 am 
Fancy Rats Team

There are no safe air fresheners, and although baking soda is supposed to absorb some smell, I'm afraid rats are always going to smell like rats. You'll also presumably be having the same reaction when you are cuddling them, and if that is a problem then rehoming would be in their best interests.

Most of us positively enjoy inhaling the scent of male rats, I liken it to digestive biscuits :love: I'm sorry it's not the same for you.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:05 pm 

Mine get inhaled every day :oops: I would also liken it to digestive biscuits, although my daughter always insisted her very first pair of boys smelt like pickled onion Monster Munch :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:14 pm 

Are you certain it's the smell of the rats themselves and not a buildup of their urine somewhere? (I don't have bucks but I understand they also produce buck grease, which I guess could also be building up on things over time and making them smell?) If you carry the rats somewhere else in the house (i.e. you've still got the rats near you but you're away from the cage), does the smell get better or does it smell about the same to you?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:17 am 

Are they still settling in? I find nervous rats or rats that are settling can smell worse because of the fear poos (that smell really does make me feel sick). Otherwise it's probably just their natural smell.

Make sure you have a highly absorbent bedding. I find Back 2 Nature (you can get it from Amazon) is good for my boys. Works out a bit pricey compared to some, but it absorbs well and they'll smell less.

One of my boys runs to greasiness so I'd also look at dietary ways to improve smell. I'm currently adding a dash of olive oil or flaxseed oil to his meals in an effort to make his fur nicer. Not sure how well this will actually work, but I'm hopeful.

Air out the room regularly. A bit of fresh air (unless it's freezing outside) will work wonders. I don't use incense around my rats because they have resp issues and it's not good for them to be breathing in.

Past: Holly & Hazel, Lilith & Eve, Skadi & Idun, Lola, Ammut & Renenutet, Nona & Decima, Halia, Sköll

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:19 am 

Another thing you could try is to hang up small bags of fragrant dried herbs/flowers around your room, or maybe have a bowl of them on the windowsill or a chest of drawers. Make sure they're out of reach of the rats, and preferably nothing that will harm the rats if they do get hold of them. Then you'll have a natural air freshener.

Past: Holly & Hazel, Lilith & Eve, Skadi & Idun, Lola, Ammut & Renenutet, Nona & Decima, Halia, Sköll

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat