Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Critter Nation Security & Qs.
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:48 am 

I have two groups of rats, 1 with two girls and a neutered boy, the other is currently one lone unneutered boy (hoping to find him friends soon though so then will be 3-4 unneutered boys). Is it secure enough to keep both groups in a critter nation or can the bottom group get through to the top group through any gaps/by lifting trays?

Also, does the fleece needed to line such shallow trays ever clean up properly? I used vet bed once for about 3 weeks and it was beyond gross, never came totally clean in the wash, so sort of put me off a bit. Kind of torn between Critter Nation and an SRS purely for this reason.

Past: Holly & Hazel, Lilith & Eve, Skadi & Idun, Lola, Ammut & Renenutet, Nona & Decima, Halia, Sköll

Post subject: Re: Critter Nation Security & Qs.
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:22 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I'd recommend getting some deep trays either made from perspex or metal. The trays it comes with are flimsy and easily chewed so not something I would risk. Also rats really need a deep layer of substrate so they can dig and forage, i deep tray will allow them to do this and keep smells at bay much better than fleece

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:55 am 

Thank you. I did wonder that about the substrate but saw some set ups with litter trays and dig boxes. I agree about the smell for sure. I've now opted for the SRS because it has deeper trays for the litter.

Past: Holly & Hazel, Lilith & Eve, Skadi & Idun, Lola, Ammut & Renenutet, Nona & Decima, Halia, Sköll

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:40 am 
Fancy Rats Team

The SRS has more or less the same depth trays. You will certainly need metal or perspex trays as rats can slip through the middle grille if they chew the provided trays.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat