Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Hay too strong smelling - how else can I store it?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:53 pm 

My gerbils have Timothy hay and I get it from a dust free place that now only sells it in double sized amounts. So I have a huge box of very fresh sweet smelling hay which is in the room with the gerbils but it's also the room where the rats are.

I'm finding it too strong a smell to be honest although it is a nice smell and I'm concerned if the rats / gerbils are also effected by it.

I don't have any other room in the house to store it so any ideas how I can store it?

I have some spare plastic dog food containers that have a hinged lid. Probably not air tight enough for outside and yet I'm told that you should store hay ideally "open" such as in the cardboard box it's come in and with ventilation holes otherwise it can get spores or something.

So I'm stuck - any ideas at all? I've thought of my car boot but then there is extreme of temperature. I'm seriously thinking get rid of the hay which means no more hay for the gerbils as I can't stand the smell - which is only twofold as its such a big amount!

Post subject: Re: Hay too strong smelling - how else can I store it?
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:46 pm 

I've seen quite a few people using these for storing bales of things like substrate: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/children-3-7/childrens-storage-system/stuva-storage-bench-white-birch-spr-59032565/

It's probably overkill for a bale of hay (even a big one) but you could put other things in it too. It looks like it'd allow some airflow (don't know if hay actually needs airflow or not though) but keep most of the smell in?

Post subject: Re: Hay too strong smelling - how else can I store it?
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:31 pm 

In terms of your concerns: No, the gerbils and rats shouldn't be negatively affected by it. The only real reason hay would affect them is if it's low quality stuff where dust or must is an issue. But the smell itself isn't a worry.

Hay is the same as any other new smelly thing though - you notice it a lot when it first arrives, and then you really don't. If the only thing prompting you to want to move it elsewhere is the smell then honestly by now with me replying a month later you're probably going to hardly be noticing it :P

eta -
[cub] wrote:
It looks like it'd allow some airflow (don't know if hay actually needs airflow or not though)

Hay in storage absolutely definitely needs airflow. Whether you're storing a whole haybarn's worth and need to bear it in mind with bale stacking, or just a small pet-sized bale amount. Airflow allows moisture to escape (being a natural product, even one which has been dried a bit, there will still be some), which prevent mould spores from growing. Damp hay (less of an issue in a house, but relevant if you're considering storing outside) can also have bacteria growth, which in big haystacks if you're very unlucky can be enough of a temperature gradient to ignite... In a small pet-sized amount it's mostly the direct fungal and bacterial risk though :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat