Making a large cage easy to navigate for the less able rat

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Rat_in_a_Hat

Making a large cage easy to navigate for the less able rat

Post by Rat_in_a_Hat » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:46 pm

Snappy title, I know ;)

Introductions between Fable and my three youngsters using the carrier method went supremely well, all my fears were unfounded and my first rattie intro went like a dream! They have been sharing their tofu nicely tonight (with added supplements) :D

They will be coming to the end of their couple of days in the small hamster cage soon and I was going to move them back into the big Zeno 3 (without levels and platforms) tomorrow night after work.

My question is, once they are settled in the larger cage, does anyone have any ideas how I can make it easy for my Fable rat to get about? Her back legs are almost useless and I am even worried about how she will manage to get up to the cage door as it seems rather high, even with a fair bit of substrate!

Any ideas will be much appreciated. I am so chuffed - I have a colony of four happy girls now and Fable is learning how to be a rat again, with surprising ease!

Thanks to everyone for all their help and advice so far. Keeping rats again after many years is an utter joy :hearts:
RatMum to 4 beautiful girls - Fable, Myth, Nox and Solstice <3

Caza66

Re: Making a large cage easy to navigate for the less able r

Post by Caza66 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:39 am

Yay, we'll done. You can use tubes or wooden log rolls used like a ramp. If you use ladders they will need some king of covering to prevent legs getting stuck.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:35 am

Rats who have the motivation to get about the cage (such as having younger more active companions to keep up with :luck: ) generally find a way, and often they will build up their shoulder muscles, maybe climbing up the bars, but the main problem for them is coming back down - so I'd add strategic flat hammocks as fall breakers. I've known elderly boys merrily flip flop their way down deliberately from hammock to hammock!

Rat_in_a_Hat

Post by Rat_in_a_Hat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:08 am

Caza66 wrote:Yay, we'll done. You can use tubes or wooden log rolls used like a ramp. If you use ladders they will need some king of covering to prevent legs getting stuck.
I have an unlimited supply of rolls from work, haha! Will see i I can engineer something for my old girl.
cyber ratty wrote:Rats who have the motivation to get about the cage (such as having younger more active companions to keep up with :luck: ) generally find a way, and often they will build up their shoulder muscles, maybe climbing up the bars, but the main problem for them is coming back down - so I'd add strategic flat hammocks as fall breakers. I've known elderly boys merrily flip flop their way down deliberately from hammock to hammock!
That's hilarious :D
I will be cordoning off the upper reaches of the cage anyways until I am sure they are all getting on.
Gives me time then to buy toys and hammocks and whatnot, haha! Payday today *rubs hands together*
RatMum to 4 beautiful girls - Fable, Myth, Nox and Solstice <3

Return to “Habitat”