Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Aubiose bedding
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:54 pm 

Has anybody used this before? My usual stockist of cardboard squares has sold out but sell aubiose, which I think has been mentioned on the forum before.

Post subject: Re: Aubiose bedding
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:15 pm 

I tried it once and it drove me slightly spare as it's rather good at getting everywhere. Plus it set my lungs off, for some reason. (The rats seemed fine with it though.) I know lots of other people use it quite happily though, often underneath another layer of something like cardboard to prevent it getting everywhere quite so much. Or mixing it with litter in litter trays, as Aubiose has very good absorbency but is much cheaper than litter. (Mixing with cardboard sadly was not sufficient for my tidiness needs. I was still finding bits of it in the next room over!)

But it seems that for any substrate, there are people who really get on with it and people who don't, so don't just take my word for it! :? :P

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:51 pm 

Oh dear, this may drive me mad. I don't think they have much more option there other than shavings. :?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:16 pm 

Do they have good quality, heat treated, dust extracted pine shavings? Those seem to be coming back into vogue now; I believe the current general feeling is that so long as they're made of pine, heat treated to evaporate the phenols, and dust extracted to, well, extract the dust, then they're actually not a bad choice. The ones aimed at horses are often of that quality, as I understand it. It's more the small bales in pet shops that aren't. Bedmax/Littlemax, Pureflake, and Megaspread are all brand I've heard people using.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:55 am 

Ok. I know they sell Megaspread and bedmax so will check them out later. Thanks for the info.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:45 am 

I got a bag of Aubiose recently when I ran out of finacard (conveniently between RR orders) but I really don't like it for the same reasons. I couldn't see any dust from it, or any settling around, but it sets my nose off too for whatever reason. It doesn't seem to have bothered the rats, but Ive been doing it outside and giving it a good shuffle around before bringing it in which I think helps. Ive just been using it up mixing it as 1/4 aubiose to 3/4 finacard.
Wont be using it again though.

Yeah Bedmax etc is (iirc) rated for horses with COPD (chronic respiratory disease) hence they are dust extracted and the phenols baked out so they ought to be ok for the ratoos.
Id like to try it as an alternative to mix in with the finacard.

:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:27 am 

There seem to have been a few cases lately of mouldy bales of Bedmax, so I'd personally try Megaspread first if they have that option. And maybe check the contents before you drive away, if you can do that without getting substrate all over the car! :luck:

I'm keen on trying shavings as well, but I've got loads of cardboard to work through first. Think my partner would kill me if I tried to put a 4th bale of anything in the hallway. :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:18 pm 

Got the megaspread. They said it's more absorbent than bedmax. I will let you know how I go on.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:42 pm 

Oh, good to know. I'll wait and see how you like the MegaSpread first then.
Id not heard of it until now but from the website it sounds pretty decent :)

:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:29 pm 

Well, after a week of megaspread...it does megaspread. I have an SRS, and have done 2 clean outs and each time I have put a layer in the tray (3 in deep tray about 2in filled) I have only used about 3in layer so it is going to last. However, it also megaspreads when the boys have had scuffles and it ends up on the floor behind the cage. It is very absorbent but there was a high ammonia smell by the end of the week but I have had that occasionally with the cardboard. I think I prefer the cardboard but until the stockist get it in again, it will do.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:57 pm 

Ack. Well I suppose any bedding is going to spread if they can kick it out of the cage.
Did you find it good in terms of dust etc ? Think it would be god in a digging box even ?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:09 pm 

I could see dust on the inside of the plastic before I opened it and one of the boys sneezed quite a bit during the week. But since I have changed it he hasn't (fingers crossed). I am finding it quite difficult to get away from what I first learnt with rats and shavings and can't imagine have a box full of shavings.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:39 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Caza66 wrote:
It is very absorbent but there was a high ammonia smell by the end of the week but I have had that occasionally with the cardboard. I think I prefer the cardboard but until the stockist get it in again, it will do.

I find the ideal substrate to be a 50:50 mix of shavings and card - I like pureflake extra because it doesn't really have any smell of its own, and finacard.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat