New Owner- Wheel

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
welshgirl21

New Owner- Wheel

Post by welshgirl21 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:22 pm

I'm getting three baby boys tomorrow and I've heard mixed things on whether to get a wheel or not. I can't afford a tic tac wheel so if I need a wheel what is a good option please?

Caza66

Re: New Owner- Wheel

Post by Caza66 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. I (and many people) use silent spinner but it must be the 12 inch one.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

bazu

Post by bazu » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:05 am

I also use a Silent Spinner, I've seen others recommend a Wodent Wheel but I like having the wide open front for them. Flying Saucer wheels are another option :)

In any case, definitely go for 12" as a minimum size; rats need a big wheel so they don't have to arch their backs uncomfortably while using it~
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:33 am

Honestly if you're getting boys and you can't afford a Tic Tac, I wouldn't bother getting a wheel at all. Save the £20-30 you'd spend on a Silent Spinner or Wodent Wheel, with the aim to keep saving towards a Tic Tac. Tic Tac sometimes put the odd wheel on sale, so if you wait and watch you can probably snag one for not much more than a Silent Spinner.

Male rats tend to grow larger than females, and many find a 12" too small so just don't use it at all, at which point a Silent Spinner or Wodent Wheel will have been a complete waste of money. And Flying Saucers don't work for adult rats because they're too heavy for the mechanism.

ETA: Do get a 16" Tic Tac if you can; I hear boys do prefer the larger size.
Poo-shoveller to: Lita, Xeltan, Calyn, and Din.
Fondly remembering: Lia the scruffbag, Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit, Falere the contrary, Mirala the best and finest, Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Return to “Habitat”