Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Rat runs - recommendations
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:34 am 

I am looking to get an indoor run for our two boys. The ones that I have seen consist of 8 interlocking panels e.g.

Vivapet small pet playpen, and
Trixie Indoor Run

Both of the above have "walls" that consist of 23cm vertical bars. Question would the boys be able to get over these?

There are runs with higher walls and netting canopies, but my fear is that the gaps between the bars also appear larger (I also want to be able to dismantle it when not in use, which doesn't appear to be possible with the larger runs).

Would welcome your recommendations and thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Rat runs - recommendations
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:10 pm 

We don't use a run but I know for certain our girls would be over a 23cm fence in no time at all. Some of ours jump from the floor onto the seat of a chair......!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:20 pm 

Those pens can barely keep a hamster or gerbil in, nevermind a rat. :lol:

I'd recommend an absolute minimum of 60cm of height for a rat pen, preferably more, and keep in mind that rats are good climbers so anything with bars is out. I use 1m signboard from here:
http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/corrugatedplastic.asp. Alternatively, if you've got very large cardboard boxes, you could unfold them and then tape them together to achieve something similar. I know some people use these panels https://www.amazon.co.uk/Songmics-Interlocking-Shoe-Rack-LPC44S/dp/B01KWYHBNW/ (and others in that range), but apparently you need to put them together using cable ties and tape because if you use the black connectors they come with, there are gaps between the panels that the rats can use to climb out.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:51 pm 

Thank you both for your replies.

Rather than getting a run, we're going to "rat proof" the lounge so they can run around freely. Might consider the run as an "enclosure" though as my daughter is keen to try and train the boys to go over obstacles etc (will keep you posted on that one).

Thanks again

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:27 pm 

I'll also just add that when it comes to corrugated plastic sheets, A4 Binder Spines are perfect to slide onto the edges to make them chew resistant ;)

Sticky back Velcro is also handy for making a "door" or securing the correx to a doorframe or whatever.

Fun times ahead, enjoy :)

:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:52 am 
Fancy Rats Team

Wayfarer wrote:
Rather than getting a run, we're going to "rat proof" the lounge so they can run around freely.

Definitely the better way to view it - rats are instinctively driven to find a way out of a pen, lol!

For the training, a pen won't help, you need the voluntary involvement of the rats, and just do short sessions. :luck:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat