Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: A couple of quick questions! :)
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:45 pm 

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone can recommend anywhere to buy a large plastic base big enough to cover the grid bottom for the Hamberley cage without rats managing to escape. I have had the Hamblerley cage for about a month now and currently use cardboard to cover the grid flooring with bedmax substrate on top of that, however it makes such a mess without having a deep base. I eventually want to buy a perspex base from the plastic people, but with it being so close to christmas it would make more sense to order this in the new year as its not needed to benefit the rats in anyway its just me getting annoyed with finding bedmax everywhere! Haha! Can anyone recommend any large deep plastic bases for the meantime? Thanks

Also, I use fleece for the baskets and hides in the cage and when I wash them I put them on a rinse first in my machine and then on a wash using baking powder and white vinegar, but they still come out smelling quite a bit, how does everyone else wash their fleeces and what do you all use? Thanks again

Post subject: Re: A couple of quick questions! :)
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:46 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

The cage description says internally it is 80 x 52, so a base from a Freddy, Jenny, or Mary should fit. A furet plus will definitely fit although there will be a gap around the edge. You could use a plastic storage box in the short term, or make a temporary one out of correx.

The deep base does benefit the rats - as they will enjoy the deeper layer of substrate that you can provide. ;)

I wash my hammocks with normal washing gel, and they do retain a residual smell, but I don't find it a problem - it's not a dirty smell, just a ratty one. :hearts:

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:05 pm 

Thankyou I will look into that!
I might have to soak the fleece for a bit before the rinse and the wash see if that makes a difference at all haha, thankyou!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:05 pm 

To stop my substrate getting everywhere I cut up one of the thick cardboard fruit/veg boxes you find in supermarkets and secured it to the edges of the cage by poking some holes and threading old shoe laces. My boys don't chew the cardboard, but if they did I think it would be strong enough to last a while.

However, one downside to this is difficulty in placing a perch to get higher up the cage, so I tend to not put the barrier at the front and just place a box outside underneath to catch falling substrate, which doubles as a step for them to get out during free range.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:31 am 

I have been using cardboard but I noticed on the last cleaning day they've been happily chewing a hole through it from under their igloo hide trying to make their escape haha! Im looking at plastic bases atm as its getting difficult to find big enough pieces of cadboard I just cant seem to find any big enough

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat