Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Grrreat Wall
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:28 pm 

Hi There

I know we can’t get grrreat wall anymore but has anyone got an alternative, I did buy something but the boys jumped out so I got some corrugated plastic sheets that were rally high over 70 Cm but not very thick and the boys seemed to be able to lift it up and do a hunk? Any advice?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Grrreat Wall
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:51 pm 

Correx Sheet 4mm Thick - White Solid Colour (no logo) - Flat Packed for Delivery (2 Sheets, White) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071W25DC4/ ... qAbW4ZXS38

I found this wil this be any good?

Thanks

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:02 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

I would focus on screening off places you don't want them to go, rather than trying to contain the rats in an enclosure - they'll always view it as a challenge. :P

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:48 pm 

It’s just not practical for me to do that with two dogs and two small children I need to have them in a play area!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:59 pm 

The only time I've ever made a free ranging enclosure I just bulldog clipped a load of big, unfolded cardboard boxes together and put heavy stuff on the flaps so that kept it weighed down, if that makes sense. I thought they'd chew through it but mostly they were more interested in all the stuff inside the enclosure.

I wondered if you could add weight to the corrugated sheet? Perhaps drill a hole or two in each sheet, thread a bolt through and attach a weight or block to the bolt to make it bottom heavy.

Correx would probably work, I guess you could attach it with gaffa tape or something similar and fold it down when you're done. You can sometimes get sheets of correx for free from the guys who put up estate agents signs, although obviously sizes vary!

Maybe a high sided paddling pool if there is such a thing? Probably be way expensive though, and def not the inflatable type!

If you're OK at DIY, You could probably make something up like a folding screen without too much work, a bunch of wooden frames attached with hinges, like a changing screen, should be plenty heavy and you have control over the weight and height.

This is the closest example I could find, hopefully the link works;

https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5AF9BD97

But there are a load of things that are already the right shape you could just attach to eachother, like cheap canvasses recovered with board, or if you build your own you get exactly what you need, and you could probably make it so it flat packs for storage.

Obviously this is a lot more work though!

Cheap thin hardboard will flex enough that a few sheets could be fixed together in a large circle, but you have to be careful not to flex it too far, it breaks easy, and it would be under tension the entire time so if it's not well fixed it could ping open.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:32 pm 

I’m not very good with diy but I need to make something safe for them, I need something foldable too, I have gorilla tape so I just need something to tape and then Velcro so I can fold it away easily!

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:22 pm 

What about something like this, and just make holes and cable tie correx or similar sheet onto it so they can't climb the bars;

https://www.meandmypets.com/me-my-pets- ... gJRVfD_BwE

Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:29 pm 

That looks excellent!

I just watched a video on making a cardboard playpen and that looks so good and easy I might try that if it doesn’t work I’ll try this! The boys have been out tonight in something else I made but the little buggers jump out onto my lap! Haha!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:23 am 

When I made walls/barriers out of opaque materials like cardboard or correx, I found that they had to be really tall to prevent my active jumpers from getting over them. If they were any shorter than 70 cm, my boys could leap right out. I switched to clear perspex and my rats don't even try to jump out anymore because they can't see the tops of the walls so they don't know how high they'd have to jump. I have one corner of my room walled off as the rat play area. At its entrance, the clear perspex wall is only 50 cm tall and I've never had an escape. I have to make the walls taller when they're next to furniture, though.

I've seen another person use squares of approximately 60 cm perspex strung together with binder rings to make a collapsible perspex playpen wall.

Cost could be prohibitive, though. I'm able to get old scratched up sheets of 3mm clear acrylic from my work but I don't know how much it would cost to have it cut for you (it's not incredibly easy to cut without the proper tools). I also had to sand the edges after getting a nasty toe cut from tripping over the short barrier.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:29 am 

Oh ok so this sound like a idea, yeah I would do it about 70cm cos two are real jumpers, do you have a link we’re I could maybe buy or give me an idea? I’m useless at this stuff and is it foldable? Thank you

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:04 pm 

I'm in the States so I don't think I'd be able to help you there. Your local hardware store might carry clear acrylic sheets, they might even be able to cut it for you. If not, you could search acrylic or plastic fabricators in your area or ask local sign shops or frame shops if they have any scraps.
Emmajones79 wrote:
yeah I would do it about 70cm cos two are real jumpers

The benefit of clear perspex is that you don't have to make the walls this tall. 50-60 cm is tall enough and also easier to step over to get inside. If you don't mind 70 cm tall walls, you might be better off going with cardboard or correx because they'd be much, much cheaper than perspex.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:29 pm 

Oh yeah the states might be a problem for me! Haha! Ok that’s excellent thank you for your help!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat