Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Potty Training
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:25 pm 

Hi all,

New to the site and new to fancy rat keeping.

I've recently added 3 pet rats to the family. Theyre all male and all brothers. My kids adore them and theyre extremely tame - currently enjoying cuddles and play time out of their cage. My daughter who's 7 is in love and sits talking to them at any opportunity. My son of 3 is still at the touching stage. They both understand not to be loud and jumpy around them so I'm happy with them being around them supervised.

My biggest concern - not a concern but something I want to teach soon - is the whole toilet training. Theyre 9 weeks old so still young. I've got a corner toilet with some proper toilet pellet type stuff. They use it frequently but theyre still pooing anywhere and weeing anywhere.

I can't really judge where they prefer because it's so random.

Will they eventually crack it or should I put all the fresh poo in the toilet and hope they understand where it goes?!

A side question; I'm after a platform/shelf so I can make my tall cage have an additional tier as one of the rats is a Manx and doesn't yet like climbing with being tailless.

Any advice welcome as I'm a little green on this.

Post subject: Re: Potty Training
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:26 am 

We kept putting the fresh poops into the ratty potty. Even when cleaning out we used to keep a bit of soiled litter and fresh poop in the potty x some are better than others but even the best potty trained still spot on their travels...just keep gentle wipes handy :D

Others can probably offer better advice...i havent been a ratty mummy for nearly 10 years....and miss it dearly!

Enjoy your ratty babies!!! They really are great for kids (and adults!!) X

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Habitat