Cages with 80cm width

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Feolthanos

Cages with 80cm width

Post by Feolthanos » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:07 am

Ello. It's been a long while since I posted here. Basically I've been wanting rats since 2012 and did an absolute boat load of research and practically lived in the shadows and this site. In 2014 it looked like I'd finally have them but sadly my Dad was taken terminally ill and passed on so things have been on hold.

With such a long wait comes me forgetting things though :roll:

I basically have a space that's 80cm wide where I'd like the cage to go. I can stretch a few cm more if the cage is put at a slight angle, or I could put the cage on it's side if it gets to srs width but this will mean it juts out into the room, so I'd rather avoid this if there's another option.

Something like an srs is the dream cage. I love the option of having a middle level for hanging things from and being there as a full level when the ratties get older as well as the full width doors. It is expensive though and realistically, probably too big for my space without me living with walking round it to get out of the room lol (but tempting!).

What are my options that are around 80cm wide and is a decent cage that'll last and last?

I was looking at the hamberley single, little friends triple (this bar spacing of 1.3 good for young/does?). Anyone had these to comment? What are my other options and are there any other options to srs style cages too other then the explorer that I've heard mixed things about.

Sorry, this post came incredibly long. . .I don't know anyone irl anymore to have a good rat natter to :lol:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Cages with 80cm width

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:42 pm

Congratulations on nearing rat ownership at last, and this is a good place for a rat natter :luck:

If you like the style of a hamberley or the little friends triple, then I'd recommend one of these - twice the size for the same price.
flight cage from ebay.

You won't get fully opening doors at only 80cm wide, but I think those doors are reasonably big. It will need a deep tray adding so you can provide a deep layer of substrate.

An alternative would be to buy two furet plus cages and make a tower out of them.

Incidentally, keeping the cage open will help any oldies keep fitter and healthier for longer, so not having a floor is a good thing. You can skewer the cage with dowling rods to hang things from, and just position a couple of flat hammocks across it if anyone is at risk of falling.

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi cyber ratty. Thank you for the reply :) Do you know what type of cage it is in your link so that i can look it up further?

I've also been looking at the adventura. But I'm not sure if the middle section can be removed (great idea about the dowling btw!) at all and if so there not be a big gap.

I have been having a think anyways and can place the cage somewhere else. But it will need to be on wheels as it'll be in front of a built in storage (which I don't access often but I'll probably keep substrate in there). Therefore I could go bigger than 80cm, but I'm still exploring the possibility of these cages too :) Mostly I'm looking now at ease of access, construction and if you can get replacement/deeper trays made up easily, as I'm not very diy and want to try and keep as much substrate in the tray as possible XD Heard of some using cat litter trays which may work quite well though.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:55 am

If you can go bigger than 80cm, have a look at the Little Zoo Venturer: http://www.worldstores.co.uk/p/Little%2 ... 20Cage.htm
Fully opening doors, bigger than the SRS (similar width and depth, but more cage height as it doesn't have the under-cage tray), narrow bars than the SRS (8mm spacing apparently), and fully metal 10cm trays. If I didn't already have an SRS, it's the cage I'd get.
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:03 pm

Cheers, looks interesting! My rooms cream/brown, so I actually really like the beige colour too :lol:

Does it need any modding to be used as one big cage do you know, or is it just the case of not putting in the middle section?
[cub] wrote:If you can go bigger than 80cm, have a look at the Little Zoo Venturer: http://www.worldstores.co.uk/p/Little%2 ... 20Cage.htm
Fully opening doors, bigger than the SRS (similar width and depth, but more cage height as it doesn't have the under-cage tray), narrow bars than the SRS (8mm spacing apparently), and fully metal 10cm trays. If I didn't already have an SRS, it's the cage I'd get.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:17 pm

I'm pretty sure you can just build it without the middle, as I've seen photos of it built like that. :luck:
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:45 pm

[cub] wrote:I'm pretty sure you can just build it without the middle, as I've seen photos of it built like that. :luck:
Great!

Anyone had both the srs and the venturer to comment on them?

I like the additional height and the smaller bar spacing on the venturer, but unsure if I would find the storage rack useful or not on the srs. I always imagined that I'd put free range/clean hammocks and such in a box on there when not in use.

Is the venturer the same quality as the srs? I would hope so, but it's a pretty expensive cage to gamble on as I've not heard of them before :?

Return to “Habitat”