Rat safe rugs

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Feolthanos

Rat safe rugs

Post by Feolthanos » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:12 am

I'm currently in process of 'doing up' the room I'll eventually have rats in. This room also serves as my dressing room. As it has laminate down I'd really like something warmer underneath my feet when getting changed and would like a runner type rug.

What can I get that isn't going to be harmful to the ratties if they decide to have a nibble at it?

What's best avoided completely? Would a rubber backed mat be unsuitable?

HereticPr1me

Re: Rat safe rugs

Post by HereticPr1me » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Not sure about rat safe materials, Id assume most rug/carpet material ought to be non toxic.

But...I would also say, in my experience, that a rubber backing will likely encourage them to chew it.

Id go with something light enough you can stick it in the washing machine from time to time ;)
Doug, witless provider to :
Ratties :smile: ex-lab boys Boxer and Spot and :girly: old girl Jess.
Budgies Freyja and Haiku.
:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:58 pm

Rats close their mouths behind their front teeth when they chew things, so you don't have to worry about them ingesting anything by accident - they'll only swallow if it's edible. :luck:

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Thanks both.

I'll just get something that's not too fluffy and pray I don't end up with chewers :lol: As long as it's safe for them that's the main thing.

CorbinDallasMyMan

Post by CorbinDallasMyMan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:12 pm

I would second the idea of getting something that can be thrown in the wash (or easily cleaned by some other means). If your rats will be running around on the rugs regularly, you may have need to clean them now and again. Little dribbles can add up.

Return to “Habitat”