Recommendation on a cage for 3

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Vickyr1804

Recommendation on a cage for 3

Post by Vickyr1804 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:23 am

Good Morning,

I kept rats back when I was 18 and looking to keep them again.

Let’s just say many (many,many) moons have past since I was 18 so starting my research all over again.

Starting by looking into cages.

I do like the Furet Plus but wondered if there are other recommended cages on the market at the moment please?

Thank you for your help

Vicky

Caza66

Re: Recommendation on a cage for 3

Post by Caza66 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:00 pm

It really does depend on your budget and space. I would recommend an SRS but this does encourage gmr (get more rats :lol: ). If you only have a space on a table or such, the furet plus is good. Or the furet XX gives a bigger footprint. Alternatively, I like the mamble 100. It’s not as sturdily built but it has a great footprint, but only 2 small doors. Others may have more preferences.
My current gang :hearts: Drax, Groot, Star-lord, Yondu
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Vickyr1804

Post by Vickyr1804 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Thank you

I’d rather not be tempted by gmr if possible

I’ve always like the Furat plus, today I’ve also looked at the Mamble 100 and the 100 Coco cage too.

Think I’d prefer the Furat Plus if I can get one second hand as it will fit the space we have nicely.

X

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:31 pm

I feel the furet plus is just too small for permanent accommodation, while it might pass on the 2 cubic feet per rat calculation, it's still very limiting in terms of how much enrichment can be fitted in.

The coco 100 on the other hand is cheaper, and far bigger, so much better for the rats. If the footprint is a problem, then I'd suggest either a freddy max, or a popamazing flight cage.

Alternatively, get 2 furet plus cages to create a tower, and then there is a nice amount of space for enrichment.

You can start with a trio, and add a pair after a year or so to keep the group rolling without needing to upgrade. :luck:

Vickyr1804

Post by Vickyr1804 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:36 pm

After a look this morning at a cage with a similar size to the coco, my hubby agreed that’s the best one.

With the fancy rats discount and some credit it have I’ll be able to get it for 43.99

Thanks

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:11 pm

Excellent :D

You can keep your costs of filling it low by browsing pound shops and household shops for cheap baskets, and ropes (make thick plaited ropes with doubled up washing lines), fixed with shower curtain hooks, and then splash out on a 16" tic tac wheel with the money you've saved. :luck:

Vickyr1804

Post by Vickyr1804 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:02 pm

Thanks,

I’ve been looking today while out, think it drove my hubby mad.

Plus point I have a sewing machine so can make all my own hammocks etc, the washing line idea sounds good.

Will start getting bits in while sorting out the cage.

Super happy as I’ve found someone who breeds Siames and I’ve wanted once since I last kept a rats 15 years ago.

I didn’t have a wheel for my boys last time, so will look into one This time round.

Return to “Habitat”