New member after cage recomendation

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
technoferret

New member after cage recomendation

Post by technoferret » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:00 am

Hi all, I'm new on here. Years ago used to keep ferrets (housed outside) but situations change and I'm missing having a pet but I now only have a small flat so I'm considering having a couple of rats for company.
After a bit of googling I've come to the conclusion that two females is the way I should go but when it comes to a cage for them I am a bit bewildered by all the does and don'ts I've read on the net, and the vast choice available .
Can anyone recomend any particular cage that will be :-
1. Generously big enough for two females,
2. Not too big as to dominate my flat.
3. Gives them a fun enviroment to live and play in,
4. Is a safe environment for them,
5. Is easy to clean and maintain.
6. And preferably comes with most of the basic accesories I'll need (sleeping bit, feeding bit, litter bit etc.)

I have a floor space and also shelf space so either kind of placement can be accommodated.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give.
P.S I feel this is not going to be the only question I post :)
Dave

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: New member after cage recomendation

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:24 pm

Hi Dave - welcome to the forum, and to rat keeping. :D

If you don't want to have to make any cage modifications (a lot of designs need a deep tray adding to them), then I would suggest a coco 100 (only £54 with discount code FANCYRATS).

Don't rely on the accessories it (or any cage) comes with though - most are not great, and the best accessories can be found in poundshops and charity shops. One exception being a wheel - it is worth spending some of the money otherwise saved on a tic tac wheel, a 14" would be big enough for most girls. They seem expensive but are the only decent quality wheel on the market, and most rats love them.

For other accessories, I'd recommend 2 toilet corners, lots of ropes, branches, perches, a couple of baskets, and a couple of hammocks (can be home made e.g. from waffle style tea towels, old jeans, or fleece blankets).

I would also advise starting with a trio of girls so that they can enjoy varied relationships which is important since they are very social animals.

Plenty more to suggest, but I don't want to overload you at this stage! However, if you're planning to get your rats from a good breeder, then contact them asap as many will have waiting lists, plus they can offer specific advice on the needs of their rats. The alternative is to find a rescue to adopt from, but please avoid pet shops.

Return to “Habitat”