Newbie!!!!

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Joent

Newbie!!!!

Post by Joent » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi We are getting my son a couple of rats for Christmas he has wanted rats as a pet for months (I had rats when I was younger loved having them as pets)! Anyway it’s been a longtime since I’ve had rats we have already ordered a large cage but was looking for advice on what subterranean, bedding, food etc was the best. Also we have a small corner litter try for them as well but unsure what I can use as litter has most cat litters are dusty.
Thank you in advance
Joanne 🙂

ScissorCrow

Re: Newbie!!!!

Post by ScissorCrow » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi, at the top of this Habitat forum is a "useful stuff and frequently asked questions" Announcement that contains links to articles such as this one on substrate and litter you might want to read through all the options there.

I use Finacard shredded cardboard as a substrate as my rats enjoy spending time foraging for their food in there instead of just picking food out of a bowl. They also like selecting certain bits to carry to their beds. I buy it direct from the supplier, the same as their paper based pellets for their litter trays. I have not had a problem with dust.

You can also buy those products from RatRations which has a great selection of different items for your rats.
I use them to buy my rats food (again, at the top of the Feeding forum is an announcement with articles on feeding that are worth a good read through). I get the 11a mix, however those mixes all need you to provide extra supplementation of Vitamin D, Calcium and Copper which can be done with a power you sprinkle on wet food (weetabix, yoghurt, couscous, veg) 3 times a week, or a supplement in their water.

Not sure how large your cage is but consider getting three rats, better cage dynamics that way and if one dies unexpectedly you won't be left with a lone rat immediately.

Hope that info helps, happy to answer any more questions

Joent

Re: Newbie!!!!

Post by Joent » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Thank you so much for your advice. I’ve been on the rat rations website it looks really good and will definitely be getting some supplies from them 🙂 I’ll also go and check out those other articles you mentioned too.
Thanks again 🙂x

Return to “Habitat”